Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2006/08/01 14:15:21 UTC

Re: Struts 2 snapshot build work on JDK 1.4.2?

I've done this with the latest nightly build and posted it as a
separate distribution.

* http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/2.0.x/nightly/

All that we are doing is running the J5 JARs through RetroTranslator.
Other projects have been using this tool successful. Note I have not
tested the nightly JAR myself, but it's there if you would like to
take it for a spin.

Actually, what we might want to do is to continue to offer the J4 JARs
as an extra download. After all, there  is no reason why someone using
native J5 should use a modified JAR, and it might help isolate any
problems we have backporting the JARs.

If you have a chance, give the J4 JAR a try, and let us know how it
works for you.

Meanwhile, there should be more s1/s2 migration materials available by
the end of the month, as I'm preparing for a course and a tutorial at
ApacheCon.

-Ted.

Posted by apka2109 <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ted,

  Where can I find xwork-j4 jar. I am not able to find it in
struts2-core-j4-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT-20060801.zip.

Thanks,

Aparna

Re: Struts 2 snapshot build work on JDK 1.4.2?

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Did you replace the XWork JAR with the XWork-J4 JAR, so that the
XWork-J4 is the only one on the classpath at runtime?

-T.

On 8/2/06, apka2109 <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I took the zip few minutes back and was getting same exception, so thought it
> is not updated.
>
> Thanks
> -Aparna

HTH, Ted.
* http://www.husted.com/struts/

Re: Struts 2 snapshot build work on JDK 1.4.2?

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 8/2/06, apka2109 <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>   If you can place the updated builds or post a updated zip , I can test it
> and let you know how it works.

Yes, the ZIP is updated, I just didn't rename it.

-T.

Re: Struts 2 snapshot build work on JDK 1.4.2?

Posted by apka2109 <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ted,

  I downloaded xworks 1.1.3. The exception has changed now to :
  [Servlet Error]-[Filter [action2]: could not be initialized]:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
com/opensymphony/xwork2/config/ConfigurationProvider

  Can you tell me whats wrong. I'll also try to debug but right now I am
busy with some other work

Thanks,

Aparna

Re: Struts 2 snapshot build work on JDK 1.4.2?

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 8/11/06, James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> wrote:
> What about the apps?  Are those artifacts?  Or are they just intended
> to be run in place?
> Seems like, at one point, the nightly build used to create sample apps.
>
> Here's what I run for the nightlies:
>   $mvn -Pextras install
>
> Has the profile name changed?

If we are getting off the topic of the Java4 support, we should open a
thread on dev@.

> >> http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/nightlies/
> >>     /2.0.x/struts2-j14-api-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT-20060804.jar
> >>     /2.0.x/struts2-j15-api-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT-20060804.jar
> >
> > I'd keep the J4 as a "special" distribution and leave J5 as the
> > default. So I'd say keep what we got as it is, and just add the ZIP
> > with a translated J4 JARs.
> >

> Ok, I'll figure something out.  Probably add a 1.4-compatible/
> directory inside of the 2.0.x directory and drop nightlies of XWork-
> j4 and s2-j4 in there.  Same schedule.

Hmmm, the bare JARs might not be sufficient.To be useful, the
"translated" JARs require the Translator JARs too, which means we need
to bundle a license. Ditto for XWork.

If possible, I think the best solution might be to create a ZIP like
the prototype, with the requisite JARS and licenses, and drop it in
with the other nightlies.

If that can't be automated on a nightly basis, then maybe we should
leave it as something we roll with the milestones.

-Ted.

Re: Struts 2 snapshot build work on JDK 1.4.2?

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
On Aug 10, 2006, at 8:42 PM, Ted Husted wrote:

>> Do we use these from
>> the command line or with a Maven plugin or should use antrun maven
>> plugin to do it?
>
> I just filtered the JARs from the command line. I suppose the Maven
> plugin would work too. I think it might be best to keep this a
> separate JAR distribution and make the "cannonical" target Java 5.

Ok, sounds good.

--
James Mitchell
678.910.8017

Re: Struts 2 snapshot build work on JDK 1.4.2?

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 8/10/06, James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> wrote:
> Looks like I'll have some time this weekend to work on this.  And so
> I wanted to get some feedback on this process.  How do we want to do
> this?
>
> Are both Retrotranslator and Retroweaver necessary for full 1.4
> compatibility?  Or will using just 1 suffice?

AFAIK, RetroTranslator should be sufficient.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
Looks like I'll have some time this weekend to work on this.  And so
I wanted to get some feedback on this process.  How do we want to do
this?

Are both Retrotranslator and Retroweaver necessary for full 1.4
compatibility?  Or will using just 1 suffice?  Do we use these from

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Feel free. Note that I included a README and the relevant license
files in the S2-for-J4 distribution, which we might want to include in
the nightly process.

-T.

On 8/2/06, James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> wrote:
> Would you like me to add this to the nightly process?
>

> --
> James Mitchell
> 678.910.8017
>

> On Aug 2, 2006, at 6:38 AM, Ted Husted wrote:
>
> > On 8/2/06, Don Brown <do...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Ah, yeah, we'll have to run XWork through the retrotranslater/weaver
> >> too, as it is built with Java 5.  Ted, can you make the build changes
> >> to XWork too?  If you need commit access, let Pat or Jason know.
> >
> > For now, I just ran the J5 JARs through the translator and posted the
> > ZIP. There isn't a build per se yet.
> >
> > * http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/2.0.x/nightly/
> >
> > I added a translated XWork JAR to the build from yesterday. I wish I
> > could test this myself, but I just don't have any discretionary time
> > this week.
> >
> > -Ted.

HTH, Ted.
* http://www.husted.com/struts/

Re: Struts 2 snapshot build work on JDK 1.4.2?

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com>.
Ah, yeah, we'll have to run XWork through the retrotranslater/weaver
too, as it is built with Java 5.  Ted, can you make the build changes
to XWork too?  If you need commit access, let Pat or Jason know.

Don

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 8/1/06, Chris Waring <ch...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think Don did mention something about that.  Should I open the ticket first
> or see if I can get something working and then open the ticket?

The general process is to mention a short-tem plan on the dev list, so
people can coordinate effort. Then, in the case of an enhancement,
open a ticket when there is something concrete to contribute. (In the
case of a defect, open the ticket as soon as it's confirmed to be a
defect.)

> Are there instructions somewhere on the procedure used for creating,
> assigning, working on tickets?

A committer will claim a ticket when one of us is ready to work on it,
but usually not before. Since we are all volunteers, we each have to
decide for ourselves when we have the time or interest to work on a
particular ticket.

Once a ticket is opened, especially if it includes a patch or
strategy, it's not uncommon for there to be discussion attached to the
ticket  Here's a good example:

* https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/STR-2742

> Thanks,
> --Chris Waring

-- HTH, Ted.
* http://www.husted.com/struts/

Re: Struts 2 snapshot build work on JDK 1.4.2?

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 8/1/06, Chris Waring <ch...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm going to see if I can come up with a patch to allow the jsp to be
> defined as part of the result.  I'm also going to try using Shale's Tiles
> integration with this to see if it works.  If I come up with anything, I
> will submit the changes through Don Brown.

That sounds great, Chris. But, the best way to submit changes is to
open a ticket in JIRA, which will save Don the trouble. We like to
share the load, best we can.

-Ted.

Re: Struts 2 snapshot build work on JDK 1.4.2?

Posted by Chris Waring <ch...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Ted.

We are more than likely going to be upgrading to Weblogic 9.2 and JDK 1.5 so
I may not get a chance to test this on JDK 1.4.

By the way, I've been using one of the Snapshot builds from last week and so
far things look great!  I've been using the JSF integration stuff, and other
than the fact that I would like to be able to specify the location of the
jsp to forward too, it seems to be working well.

I'm going to see if I can come up with a patch to allow the jsp to be
defined as part of the result.  I'm also going to try using Shale's Tiles
integration with this to see if it works.  If I come up with anything, I
will submit the changes through Don Brown.

Thanks again for the reply!
--Chris Waring