Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2007/08/16 01:39:51 UTC

Could we use the maven-remote-resources plugin to install the legal files?

It normally gets stuff from a "resource bundle" such as

org.apache:apache-jar-resource-bundle:1.0

which has the standard apache license and notice files in it.

It installs them into at least normal and test jars, I haven't
checked about source jars.

I think you can configure it to add local files as well but I haven't
figured out exactly how.  If worst came to worst we could publish
jars of our unusual notice files.  It might aggregate stuff from the
depenency's notice files, I'm not quite sure what the documentation
is saying.

I think using a single standard copy of the license/notice files
would be a lot more pleasant than having a copy in each dir, and
unusual modules would be easier to spot.

thanks
david jencks

Re: Could we use the maven-remote-resources plugin to install the legal files?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

On Wednesday 15 August 2007, Jason Dillon wrote:
> Yup, this should work... assuming the plugin functions.  I just tried
> to hook it up from use in the Groovy m2 stuff and it puked up some
> NPE crapo.

That's not good.   Sure you grabbed the latest version?

> Also, I'm not sure that the LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt
> generation stuff is going to fit our needs ASIS, but we can always
> get it fixed.

Yep.   You can either publish your own resource bundle or we can get a
new apache-jar-resource-bundle version pushed if you need stuff there or
a new version of remote-resources pushed if that's needed.

> On Aug 15, 2007, at 4:39 PM, David Jencks wrote:
> > It normally gets stuff from a "resource bundle" such as
> >
> > org.apache:apache-jar-resource-bundle:1.0
> >
> > which has the standard apache license and notice files in it.
> >
> > It installs them into at least normal and test jars, I haven't
> > checked about source jars.

Yep.  It does source jars and javadoc jars as well.   (providing you are
using the latest versions of the javadoc plugin).

> > I think you can configure it to add local files as well but I
> > haven't figured out exactly how.

I don't think that works.   It requires a full maven module name
(groupid:artifactid:version) in order to work.

> > If worst came to worst we could
> > publish jars of our unusual notice files.  It might aggregate stuff
> > from the depenency's notice files, I'm not quite sure what the
> > documentation is saying.

No, it doesn't do that.   Basically, it can go through all the runtime
dependencies and produces something like:

This product includes/uses software, JTA 1.0.1B
(http://geronimo.apache.org/specs/geronimo-jta_1.0.1B_spec),
developed by Apache Software Foundation  (http://www.apache.org)
License: The Apache Software License, Version 2.0
(http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt)

in the NOTICE file that gets put in the META-INF dir.   However, that's
really just driven by the velocity template in the
apache-jar-resource-bundle.    If you want your own format, you can
create your own resource bundle.   The remote-resources plugin just adds
all the dependencies as a List into the properties that are fed to
velocity and velocity can do whatever it needs to do.

There are two "advanced" things that may be required:
1) Appending - the remote resources supports the ability to append local
snippets (default location is src/main/appended-resources) to the stuff
generated from velocity.   For CXF we use this to add some extra
disclaimers and such like:
This product also includes schemas and specification developed by:
      - the W3C consortium (http://www.w3c.org)
      (http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace)

2) Fixing bad poms - there a lot of crappy poms out there that generate
junk in the NOTICE files.   Poms that don't include the organization,
license, or sometimes even a real name.   RemoteResources does support
the ability to merge in some corrected data.   CXF does this to
workaround the fact that most of Sun's poms are very minimal.

Enjoy!
Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: Could we use the maven-remote-resources plugin to install the legal files?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Yup, this should work... assuming the plugin functions.  I just tried
to hook it up from use in the Groovy m2 stuff and it puked up some
NPE crapo.  Also, I'm not sure that the LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt
generation stuff is going to fit our needs ASIS, but we can always
get it fixed.

This was defs on my list of things to look into more... but if you
fancy a look, then go for it ;-)

--jason