Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Dimitri Pourbaix <po...@astro.ulb.ac.be> on 2010/03/15 16:12:56 UTC

[math] Status of MATH-327?

Hi,

What is the present status of MATH-327?  Phil updated on Saturday, I guess,
to say it will be fixed in 2.2.  However, the present version adresses the
problem of the number of iterations reaching the maximum.  It also improves
(but does not completely solve) the situation mentioned by Luc in January
28: there is still one spurious non zero singular value
(3.547702387229884E-7 which I am going to try to kick out) instead of two.

Dim.
Dimitri Pourbaix                         *
Institut d'Astronomie et d'Astrophysique *      Don't worry, be happy
CP 226, office 2.N4.211, building NO     *         and CARPE DIEM.
Universite Libre de Bruxelles            *
Boulevard du Triomphe                    *      Tel : +32-2-650.35.71
  B-1050 Bruxelles                        *      Fax : +32-2-650.42.26
http://sb9.astro.ulb.ac.be/~pourbaix     * mailto:pourbaix@astro.ulb.ac.be

Re: [math] Status of MATH-327?

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Phil Steitz a écrit :
> Dimitri Pourbaix wrote:
>> Phil,

>>> OK, so you are OK with keeping the fix version for this one at 2.2?
>> Yes, I am.  I will try to find a fix as soon as possible.  If it turns out
>> to be before the release of 2.1, it will go there.  Otherwise, it will be
>> in 2.2.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Any other opinions on the issues that I left marked 2.1?  If others
> are OK with this, I will move 321 and 351-352 to 2.2 and proceed to
> cut a 2.1 RC.

This seems fine to me.

Luc

Re: [math] Status of MATH-327?

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Re: [math] Status of MATH-327?

Posted by Dimitri Pourbaix <po...@astro.ulb.ac.be>.
Phil,

Re: [math] Status of MATH-327?

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Re: [math] Status of MATH-327?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
See
http://www.amazon.com/Computations-Hopkins-Studies-Mathematical-Sciences/dp/0801854148for
the best treatment of this that I know.

This is particularly handy in converting Lanczos' algorithm from computing
partial eigenvector decompositions into an algorithm for partial SVD.  This
adjoint approach is particular handy for sparse conditions because adjoining
with a zero matrix is pretty much free.

Re: [math] Status of MATH-327?

Posted by Dimitri Pourbaix <po...@astro.ulb.ac.be>.
Ted,

Re: [math] Status of MATH-327?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
To get an SVD isn't it more common to compute the eigen decomposition of

[ 0  A' ]
[ A  0  ]

Rather than A' A?

I have heard that this is supposed to avoid some problems with round-off
such as  you are seeing.  Moreover, many algorithms can be restated so that
this matrix never needs to be constructed explicitly.

Re: [math] Status of MATH-327?

Posted by Dimitri Pourbaix <po...@astro.ulb.ac.be>.
Hi,

Re: [math] Status of MATH-327?