Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Akhil Samnotra <sa...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/02 08:36:28 UTC

Issue related to Special Characters

Hi,

We are using Apache qpid as broker between Oracle 10 g DB and our
application. The message that is passed onto QPID is in a byte format and
it has both rtf content and the xml content coming from the DB.

The encoding used in the database is ISO-8859-1.

It was observed when some special characters that were there in one of the
XML was passed onto the QPID as a message they got changed with ? or some
other format .

And once this message, stored on the local file system and used by the
application, these special characters were seen as ?.

We want to keep these characters intact.

The characters are:

°

:

{ ( [

± ≠

–

-

The Character as seen inside QPID Message Queue:

?

?

{ ( [

± â‰

Ï€

–

-

The characters seen in the applicatoion:

?

?

{ ( [

± ?

?

?

?

-

 Also, the encoding used in the application is ISO-8859-1.

Hence, can you please let us know how we can keep these characters intact.

Thanks

Akhil Samnotra

+91-7888044049

Re: Issue related to Special Characters

Posted by Akhil Samnotra <sa...@gmail.com>.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
I'm pretty sure your issue is nothing to do with Qpid, but simply that you
are using a different character encoding for converting String data to
bytes on your sender and receiver.

Your code here:

	File newFile = new File(finalPath);
	FileWriter fw = new FileWriter(newFile);
	fw.write(data);
	fw.close();

will use the default character encoding of the machine you are running on
to convert the String data into bytes.  Unless you use the same character
encoding on the receiver side, then you will get unexpected characters.  If
you want to ensure that the String data is encoded in  ISO-8859-1 you would
need to do something like

	File newFile = new File(finalPath);
	OutputStreamWriter fw = new OutputStreamWriter(new
FileOutputStream(newFile), StandardCharsets.ISO_8859_1);
	fw.write(data);
	fw.close();

Out of interest why are you passing the file data as a byte[] rather than
as a String?  You seem to be later writing out the data structure as an
Object message anyway, so why not retain the Java type?

Hope this helps,
Rob

Posted by Akhil Samnotra <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi rob