Posted to dev@ode.apache.org by GaryMcWilliams <ga...@lagan.com> on 2009/02/25 13:10:21 UTC

Potential looping condition under Websphere 6.1

There is "potential" for a loop condition (leading to a StackOverflowError)
on WAS 6.1. I present here the results of finding through working with IBM
on this issue (for feedback!). Our client did suffer from the
StackOverflowError, but I resolved that by modifying the Axis-2 code
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-3791). However it could also be
caused by an ODE issue rather than an Axis2 issue:

The class hierarchy is

ODEAxisServlet extends AxisServlet extends HttpServlet which extends Generic
servlet.

ODEAxisServlet implements init(config) which calls super.init(config) This
resolves to AxisServlet init(config) which calls super.init(config) This
resolves to GenericServlet init(config) which calls init() AxisServlet
implements init(), but ODEAxisServlet does not, so this resolves to
AxisServlet init() which calls init(config) ODEAxisServlet implements
init(config) so this resolves to that method and the loop starts.

Given that GenericServlet has always been implemented like this without any
issues reported the real problem appears to be in AxisServlet because its
init method calls init(config). However the easiest fix may be for
ODEAxisServlet to implement an empty init() method.