Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Norman Khine <no...@khine.net> on 2006/10/03 15:17:28 UTC

[users@httpd] Block wget attempts from my site

Hello,

What is the best way to block someone from ripping/mirroring stuff from my site
with wget? Is there an Apache way to do this, have seen it done with
.htaccess but perhaps there is a way to do this from Apache.

mod-security, snort perhaps? How does this fit with VirtualHosts and can these be specific per host?

Any comments and advise much appreciated.

Cheers

Norma

Re: [users@httpd] Block wget attempts from my site

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Tuesday 03 October 2006 14:17, Norman Khine wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What is the best way to block someone from ripping/mirroring stuff from my
> site with wget?

Make your contents available in a convenient form, so users have
no need of things like wget.  Remember there are a lot of people
on expensive dialup lines, and they don't want to spend a time
"live" looking for what they need on your site when they can browse
it more easily and cheaply, as well as faster, offline.

> Is there an Apache way to do this, have seen it done with
> .htaccess but perhaps there is a way to do this from Apache.

That's confused.  WTF is .htaccess if not an Apache way to do this?
Anything you can do with .htaccess can also be done in httpd.conf.

> mod-security, snort perhaps? How does this fit with VirtualHosts and can
> these be specific per host?

Well, you could use a rewritecond based on user-agent.  But that would
be BAD.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.prenhallprofessional.com/title/0132409674