Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/12 17:02:06 UTC

Re: DNS Protocol (Was: DHCP Protocol Home)

On 6/12/07, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Trustin Lee ha scritto:
> > Moreover, we will do our best to implement such a codec in joint with
> > existing project team (or author) such as dnsjava.  For example, we
> > could reuse dnsjava's DNS message model and encoding/decoding code,
> > and provide its simple wrapper for MINA, which is a very thin
> > integration layer. As for AsyncWeb, I agree with you, and the same
> > approach can be applied to it too like we are going to do with DNS
> > once it goes TLP since its growth.
> >
> > However, if there's no Java protocol codec implementation and MINA
> > needs to provide integration with the protocol, MINA team could
> > provide the codec if there are *enough* people who are interested in
> > it.
>
> For Apache JAMES jSPF library (http://james.apache.org/jspf/index.html)
> we're using a combination of a patched dnsjava and the trunk dnsjnio
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dnsjnio) library.
>
> We did this when moving to an asynchronous model for our SPF (DNS) lookups.
>
> As we currently depend on a "not-so-frequently-updated" (dnsjava)
> library (and we are waiting for bugs to be fixed) and on
> "not-so-widely-adopted" MPL licensed library (dnsjnio) I many times
> considered starting a MINA-DNS library based on core dnsjava tokens.
>
> I think that an asynchronous DNS library should be part of MINA core as
> many protocols require DNS lookups before connecting.
>
> Unfortunately I have limite knowledge of both the DNS protocol and MINA
> so I would like to help but I currently cannot afford the full project
> alone. If I had a guide between mina experts to help me with the main
> architecture I could try to start wiring up some code.
>
> Is anyone interested?

Unfortunately, I am not a DNS expert either.  We will give you as much
support as we can if you have any questions about MINA.  But it's not
free; you need to give us a rant whenever you find MINA sucks! ;)

It seems like we have three libraries on our table; dnsjava, dnsjnio,
and ADS DNS protocol provider.  The authors of all three libraries
could start to talk about getting the force together to form more
sustainable community.

I'll CC the authors of dnsjava and dnsjnio in case they are interested.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP Key ID: 0x0255ECA6

Re: DNS Protocol (Was: DHCP Protocol Home)

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Richard Wallace ha scritto:
> Maybe some of the changes I started to make to protocol-dns could help a
> bit in this area.  One of my goals was to try and make the
> encoders/decoders completely independent of any MINA dependencies.  So
> if you look at the encoders/decoders at
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/directory/apacheds/trunk/protocol-dns/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/server/dns/protocol/
> you can see they are pretty thin wrappers around the encoders/decoders
> that do the actual work which are at
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/directory/apacheds/trunk/protocol-dns/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/server/dns/io/.
> The only MINA class that those depend on is the MINA ByteBuffer which
> provides handy utility methods that are really nice to have.

About the decoder/encoder this seems to be the perfect solution.
But what about MINA handler/filters ?
In jSPF I introduced the concept of "continuation" so that every action
can do something and return a continuation. This way I don't care of who
will handle the real execution of the continuations: but now I don't
know how I could port this to MINA and if this is the best approach to
solve this "optional dependency" issue.

I think Alex is right when he tells that a light dns library should not
depend on anything but the JDK, but at the same time I think that MINA
can give us many tools (e.g: spring/jmx integration, throttle filters)
out of the box. Maybe MINA is more important on the server side than on
the client side.

>> Assuming Alex and Brian accept this, IMO a good plan could be to start
>> from dnsjava+dnsjnio as this already provides full *working* synchronous
>> and asynchronous resolving library.
>> Then we can apply this refactorings:
>>
>> 1) Make the record types pluggable (currently to add a new supported
>> record type you have to change core dnsjava classes) programmatically
>> (we know at least 2 dnsjava forks have been started because of this
>> missing extensibility).
>>
>> 2) Split from-the-wire / to-the-wire code from the record classes.
>> 2b) Refactor the code so we can start working side-by-site on a MINA
>> based protocol and on the currently working nio code (synchronous in
>> dnsjava and asynchronous in dnsjnio). Maybe MINA experts can help us
>> understanding how to better accomplish this without too much code
>> duplication.
>>
> That seems like a pretty reasonable approach to me.  I think much of
> what is in protocol-dns can be used as a basis for these refactorings.

This will take few more days/weeks to consolidate in our minds, but I
really think we can find a common goal and share the effort!

Thank you,
Stefano

Re: DNS Protocol (Was: DHCP Protocol Home)

Posted by Richard Wallace <rw...@thewallacepack.net>.

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
On 6/20/07, alexd@nominet.org.uk <al...@nominet.org.uk> wrote:

> last
> > >
> > > Definitely.  If there are people interested in working on DNS code,
> I'm
> > > happy to let them.  The fact that I've written almost all of dnsjava
> is
> > > more a reflection of the lack of contributed code than anything else.
> >
> > I am very glad that you are interested in collaboration with the
> > interested developers.  WDYT, other people?  Does this sound good
> > enough?  To get the collaboration started, we could start from the
> > incubation proposal if there's no objection.  Stefano, I think you are
> > most suitable person for writing the proposal in cooperation with
> > Brian IMHO. :)
>
> I'm not sure I understand. Is the proposal to extend and evolve dnsjava,
> or is the proposal to create an entirely new DNS project?
>
> Personally, I'd favour a community-driven evolution of dnsjava if this was
> an option.

If I understood the general opinion in this thread, it was our first
try to extend and evolve dnsjava.  I guess everyone interested prefers

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by al...@nominet.org.uk.
"Trustin Lee" <tr...@gmail.com> wrote on 20/06/2007 09:32:44:

> > > Our primary goal is not about forking dnsjava.  I think it's our
last
> > > resort.  Especially, I appreciate your effort to maintain dnsjava
> > > project as a previous user and a fan.  With a bigger community, we
> > > could cope better with such a big request because it's not only you
> > > but all committers will have more chance to consider about the worth
> > > of the request.
> >
> > Definitely.  If there are people interested in working on DNS code,
I'm
> > happy to let them.  The fact that I've written almost all of dnsjava
is
> > more a reflection of the lack of contributed code than anything else.
>
> I am very glad that you are interested in collaboration with the
> interested developers.  WDYT, other people?  Does this sound good
> enough?  To get the collaboration started, we could start from the
> incubation proposal if there's no objection.  Stefano, I think you are
> most suitable person for writing the proposal in cooperation with
> Brian IMHO. :)

I'm not sure I understand. Is the proposal to extend and evolve dnsjava,
or is the proposal to create an entirely new DNS project?

Personally, I'd favour a community-driven evolution of dnsjava if this was
an option.

Alex.

Re: DNS Protocol (Was: DHCP Protocol Home)

Posted by al...@nominet.org.uk.
"Trustin Lee" <tr...@gmail.com> wrote on 20/06/2007 09:32:44:

> > > Our primary goal is not about forking dnsjava.  I think it's our
last
> > > resort.  Especially, I appreciate your effort to maintain dnsjava
> > > project as a previous user and a fan.  With a bigger community, we
> > > could cope better with such a big request because it's not only you
> > > but all committers will have more chance to consider about the worth
> > > of the request.
> >
> > Definitely.  If there are people interested in working on DNS code,
I'm
> > happy to let them.  The fact that I've written almost all of dnsjava
is
> > more a reflection of the lack of contributed code than anything else.
>
> I am very glad that you are interested in collaboration with the
> interested developers.  WDYT, other people?  Does this sound good
> enough?  To get the collaboration started, we could start from the
> incubation proposal if there's no objection.  Stefano, I think you are
> most suitable person for writing the proposal in cooperation with
> Brian IMHO. :)

I'm not sure I understand. Is the proposal to extend and evolve dnsjava,
or is the proposal to create an entirely new DNS project?

Personally, I'd favour a community-driven evolution of dnsjava if this was
an option.

Alex.

Re: DNS Protocol (Was: DHCP Protocol Home)

Posted by al...@nominet.org.uk.
> AFAIK the UNBOUND project solved the TTL issue by adding helpers
> ".withTTL(newTTL)" so to easily create record duplicates with only a
> different TTL and not by introducing mutators in the records.
>
> We should be careful moving from an immutable object style to a mutable
> one. In fact the JVM is able to do big optimizations and multi threading
> is also much easier with immutable objects.

Undoubtedly so!!

The point is that there should be *some* means of doing this! The Unbound
project forked in order to add this functionality.

Alex.

Re: DNS Protocol (Was: DHCP Protocol Home)

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
alexd@nominet.org.uk ha scritto:
> [One other change that is needed is that objects should be writable after
> instantiation. Currently, you can't decrease the TTL of a record, since
> you can't change the object. (Which was one of the reasons for the
> unbound-dnsjava fork)]

Hi Alex,

This is probably one of the things to be discussed after we'll have
agreed on the high level direction, anyway I have a small consideration
to add.

AFAIK the UNBOUND project solved the TTL issue by adding helpers
".withTTL(newTTL)" so to easily create record duplicates with only a
different TTL and not by introducing mutators in the records.

We should be careful moving from an immutable object style to a mutable
one. In fact the JVM is able to do big optimizations and multi threading
is also much easier with immutable objects.

Stefano

PS: I removed some CC as this is a bit OT on other mailing lists and I
don't want to cross post 3 lists until we find (if we do) our new home :-)

Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote on 21/06/2007 09:47:21:

> I already saw many different opinions on what to do with this project,
> so I think we should clearly understand who is interested and in what
> roles (discussion only/ write code / test code / use the library).
>
> As an example, if I understood correctly, Alex (dnsjnio/Nominet) is
> interested in working on this shared effort only if the core will have
> no external dependencies (read: no MINA), Julien Vermillard instead
> already started working on the dns protocol in ADS that is almost the
> opposite of what Alex has in his mind.
>
> I'm currently trying to find a solution to make everyone happy and
> really start creating a *community* and not a 2 people effort.
>
> Assuming Alex and Brian accept this, IMO a good plan could be to start
> from dnsjava+dnsjnio as this already provides full *working* synchronous
> and asynchronous resolving library.
> Then we can apply this refactorings:
>
> 1) Make the record types pluggable (currently to add a new supported
> record type you have to change core dnsjava classes) programmatically
> (we know at least 2 dnsjava forks have been started because of this
> missing extensibility).
>
> 2) Split from-the-wire / to-the-wire code from the record classes.
> 2b) Refactor the code so we can start working side-by-site on a MINA
> based protocol and on the currently working nio code (synchronous in
> dnsjava and asynchronous in dnsjnio). Maybe MINA experts can help us
> understanding how to better accomplish this without too much code
> duplication.

All this sounds fairly reasonable to me.

[One other change that is needed is that objects should be writable after
instantiation. Currently, you can't decrease the TTL of a record, since
you can't change the object. (Which was one of the reasons for the
unbound-dnsjava fork)]

I think that there should be a well-accepted, stand-alone Java DNS library
which depends on nothing but core Java classes. Not everyone who wants to
use a DNS implementation will want to use MINA (or any other platform), so
there should be no required dependencies. That's not to say that there
shouldn't be a module which supports the use of MINA - it just shouldn't
be *required*.

I also don't see any point in re-inventing any wheels. Dnsjava has had a
lot of testing and use over the years, and presents a pretty complete
standards-compliant DNS implementation. I see the way forward as being a
refactoring of the library to allow greater flexibility.

If the point of the new effort is for there to be *one* Java DNS
implementation, then it would seem sensible to me to strive to retain the
existing dnsjava interface (in addition to extending and enhancing it).
After all, we're going to want people with existing dnsjava code to take
advantage of updates in the new code (e.g. NSEC3) without having to
perform major refactoring.

I would certainly be happy to contribute the dnsjnio code to such an
effort. We would also be happy to provide DNS expertise to the project,
and would expect to be using the library for our own code. We would also
be keen to add DNSSEC NSEC3 support to the code.

Thanks,

Alex.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
On 6/20/07, Brian Wellington <bw...@xbill.org> wrote:
<snip/>
> > The intent here is about build a community around DNS protocol
> > implementation.  I agree with you that dnsjava is a very mature and
> > stable product.  But there are also demand for asynchronous DNS
> > implementation.  dnsjnio is a good example, and some people want to
> > switch dnsjava's internal implementation with existing NIO framework
> > to fully utilize asynchronous API.  These changes will need quite a
> > lot of work and we thought dnsjava and dnsjnio are a great starting
> > point.  I'm not sure you have interest in these changes, but there are
> > about four guys who are interested in these changes, so we might be
> > able to create a nice community around it.  We also thought starting
> > this work in the ASF will be beneficial to many parties such as James,
> > MINA, and Directory project because they want to work closely with the
> > DNS protocol implementor in the near future (or right now).  Is your
> > question about our intent clarified?  WDYT?
>
> If there are enough people to form a community, then it sounds like a good
> idea.

<snip/>

> > Our primary goal is not about forking dnsjava.  I think it's our last
> > resort.  Especially, I appreciate your effort to maintain dnsjava
> > project as a previous user and a fan.  With a bigger community, we
> > could cope better with such a big request because it's not only you
> > but all committers will have more chance to consider about the worth
> > of the request.
>
> Definitely.  If there are people interested in working on DNS code, I'm
> happy to let them.  The fact that I've written almost all of dnsjava is
> more a reflection of the lack of contributed code than anything else.

I am very glad that you are interested in collaboration with the
interested developers.  WDYT, other people?  Does this sound good
enough?  To get the collaboration started, we could start from the
incubation proposal if there's no objection.  Stefano, I think you are
most suitable person for writing the proposal in cooperation with
Brian IMHO. :)

<snip/>

> I'm not offended by this; I was trying to explain more than anything else.
> I know that dnsjava's been mostly inactive for a while now, which is a
> combination of my lack of time and the fact that there haven't been many
> things to add.

Thank you for your understanding!

Cheers,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP Key ID: 0x0255ECA6

Re: DNS Protocol (Was: DHCP Protocol Home)

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
On 6/20/07, Brian Wellington <bw...@xbill.org> wrote:
<snip/>
> > The intent here is about build a community around DNS protocol
> > implementation.  I agree with you that dnsjava is a very mature and
> > stable product.  But there are also demand for asynchronous DNS
> > implementation.  dnsjnio is a good example, and some people want to
> > switch dnsjava's internal implementation with existing NIO framework
> > to fully utilize asynchronous API.  These changes will need quite a
> > lot of work and we thought dnsjava and dnsjnio are a great starting
> > point.  I'm not sure you have interest in these changes, but there are
> > about four guys who are interested in these changes, so we might be
> > able to create a nice community around it.  We also thought starting
> > this work in the ASF will be beneficial to many parties such as James,
> > MINA, and Directory project because they want to work closely with the
> > DNS protocol implementor in the near future (or right now).  Is your
> > question about our intent clarified?  WDYT?
>
> If there are enough people to form a community, then it sounds like a good
> idea.

<snip/>

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
On 6/20/07, Brian Wellington <bw...@xbill.org> wrote:
<snip/>
> > The intent here is about build a community around DNS protocol
> > implementation.  I agree with you that dnsjava is a very mature and
> > stable product.  But there are also demand for asynchronous DNS
> > implementation.  dnsjnio is a good example, and some people want to
> > switch dnsjava's internal implementation with existing NIO framework
> > to fully utilize asynchronous API.  These changes will need quite a
> > lot of work and we thought dnsjava and dnsjnio are a great starting
> > point.  I'm not sure you have interest in these changes, but there are
> > about four guys who are interested in these changes, so we might be
> > able to create a nice community around it.  We also thought starting
> > this work in the ASF will be beneficial to many parties such as James,
> > MINA, and Directory project because they want to work closely with the
> > DNS protocol implementor in the near future (or right now).  Is your
> > question about our intent clarified?  WDYT?
>
> If there are enough people to form a community, then it sounds like a good
> idea.

<snip/>

Posted by Brian Wellington <bw...@xbill.org>.
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Trustin Lee wrote:

> [...]

>> miscellaneous DNS testing and adding new record types.  The main reason I
>> use dnsjava for testing is that I know the API pretty well, and it's easy
>> for me to write code using it - if the API evolved to the point that
>> wasn't as familiar with it and my code didn't work, I'd probably continue
>> to use the old version or use something else (like dnspython - dnsjava and
>> small programs using it are the only java code I write anymore).
>
> Our primary goal is not about forking dnsjava.  I think it's our last
> resort.  Especially, I appreciate your effort to maintain dnsjava
> project as a previous user and a fan.  With a bigger community, we
> could cope better with such a big request because it's not only you
> but all committers will have more chance to consider about the worth
> of the request.

Definitely.  If there are people interested in working on DNS code, I'm
happy to let them.  The fact that I've written almost all of dnsjava is
more a reflection of the lack of contributed code than anything else.

>> > dnsjava is licensed under BSD-license, so we can fork it without prior
>> > permission, though we need to try.  (But he's not responding.)  And
>> > starting from the ADS DNS protocol provider is also a good idea.  I am
>> > not a DNS expert so it's up to the actual contributor of the project.
>> > If Alex is interested, it's a great news, and starting the project
>> > from the incubator might be a better idea to attract more interested
>> > non-committers such as Alex.  Even if we have little code base so far,
>> > we could discuss about this project with the incubator PMC and ask if
>> > we can start from existing code that we didn't write (dnsjava) due to
>> > its inactivity.
>>
>> I can't really comment on this, as I don't know much about the ADS DNS
>> protocol provider.  Again, though, the "inactivity" you're referring to is
>> mostly the lack of any necessary changes.  dnsjava is pretty standards
>> compliant.  Other than a good asynchronous interface, there really isn't
>> anything that's missing.
>>
>> Of course, the inactivity could be the lack of frequent releases to pick
>> up minor bug fixes.  I don't do releases more often because releasing
>> software on sourceforge is a pain (doing anything with the file release
>> system takes many times longer than it should), but the code in CVS (which
>> would have been moved to SVN a year ago if sourceforge's SVN conversion
>> scripts worked) should be pretty stable, if anyone would like to volunteer
>> to do more releases.
>
> I admit 'inactivity' here is incorrect and apologize from my heart if
> it dismays you.  Most of all, please consider our intent as serious
> will to improve the best-of-breed DNS implementation.

I'm not offended by this; I was trying to explain more than anything else.
I know that dnsjava's been mostly inactive for a while now, which is a
combination of my lack of time and the fact that there haven't been many

Brian

Re: DNS Protocol (Was: DHCP Protocol Home)

Posted by Brian Wellington <bw...@xbill.org>.

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brian,

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brian,

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brian,

Posted by Brian Wellington <bw...@xbill.org>.

Posted by Brian Wellington <bw...@xbill.org>.

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
On 6/19/07, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> >> What if there were a "frequently updated" dnsjava, containing all of the
> >> useful community-contributed patches (including dnsjnio), released
> >> under a
> >> BSD license - would that be a good solution?
> >
> > Absolutely.  That is the best of the best IMHO.  WDYT guys?
>
> Sorry but I don't understand the proposed scenario.
>
> I think the problem is that we need a community around a new dns project
> because we want to provide fast respose and more evolution than dnsjava
> currently offer.

It is true if Brian doesn't have any will to work closely with us.
He's not replying to us so far, so I agree with you.  And I don't
think what Alex is suggesting to us is not so far from what we have
been discussing.  He didn't say it should be outside of the ASF. ;)

<snip/>

> What about the "frequently updated dnsjava" you talk about? Who will do
> that? In what environment? What community? As it has been proposed to be
> BSD then it cannot be hosted by ASF because the Apache Foundation will
> only create/maintain ASLv2 projects (and will also need copyrights for
> everything maintained).
>
> Indeed, I really would like to know whether Brian has objections to such
> an effort, what would be his own preferences about dependencies (or
> evolutions) of his code, if he would be interested in collaborating in a
> more "community oriented" project, if he would be interested in an
> oversight role.

dnsjava is licensed under BSD-license, so we can fork it without prior
permission, though we need to try.  (But he's not responding.)  And
starting from the ADS DNS protocol provider is also a good idea.  I am
not a DNS expert so it's up to the actual contributor of the project.
If Alex is interested, it's a great news, and starting the project
from the incubator might be a better idea to attract more interested
non-committers such as Alex.  Even if we have little code base so far,
we could discuss about this project with the incubator PMC and ask if
we can start from existing code that we didn't write (dnsjava) due to
its inactivity.

BTW, MINA PMC needs to discuss about hosting the project again because
we are split into two opinions; to host it at Lab or under MINA.
These two options got the same vote count, so I have no idea what to
do right now.  I started to think it's better to discuss first with
the incubator PMC.

Let me CC general@incubator.a.o to find out what people think about it.

The whole thread can be browsed here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@mina.apache.org/msg02835.html

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP Key ID: 0x0255ECA6

Re: DNS Protocol (Was: DHCP Protocol Home)

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:27:56 +0200
Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:

> Trustin Lee ha scritto:
> > On 6/18/07, alexd@nominet.org.uk <al...@nominet.org.uk> wrote:
> >> Hi -
> >>
> >> I'm sorry for the delay in replying - I've just returned from
> >> holiday.

> >> What if there were a "frequently updated" dnsjava, containing all
> >> of the useful community-contributed patches (including dnsjnio),
> >> released under a
> >> BSD license - would that be a good solution?
> >
> > Absolutely.  That is the best of the best IMHO.  WDYT guys?
> >
> > Trustin
>
> Sorry but I don't understand the proposed scenario.
>
> I think the problem is that we need a community around a new dns
> project because we want to provide fast respose and more evolution
> than dnsjava currently offer.
>
> Please note that I have nothing against Brian Wellington that indeed
> have done a great work during all the past years developing and
> maintaining the great dnsjava library.
>
> So what I think we need is a community that can provide that effort
> and can do this for the next years: maybe the ASF can be such a place.
>
> What about the "frequently updated dnsjava" you talk about? Who will
> do that? In what environment? What community? As it has been proposed
> to be BSD then it cannot be hosted by ASF because the Apache
> Foundation will only create/maintain ASLv2 projects (and will also
> need copyrights for everything maintained).
>
> Indeed, I really would like to know whether Brian has objections to
> such an effort, what would be his own preferences about dependencies
> (or evolutions) of his code, if he would be interested in
> collaborating in a more "community oriented" project, if he would be
> interested in an oversight role.
>
> Stefano

Hi,

I'm currently trying the ADS DNS server and the code is quite simple
and MINA based (read "ByteBuffer" and "asynchronous" here :D ). I
patched it for making it totaly independent of other ADS code, and it
was quite trivial. Writing a client based on this codec is probably
trivial too. Perhaps dnsjava got more
functionality, but the code structure for encoding/decoding
data-typestart to look old ( http://tinyurl.com/2pgyeg ) and the whole
network stack is based bio (you got a patch for using NIO, but nothing
for use MINA). It's ASLv2 licensed, already incubated and ADS team
prolly happy to receive new patch and new supported data-types coming
from dnsjava and will sure like to created a separated project if they
are flooded, like they was with MINA ;)

Julien

Re: DNS Protocol (Was: DHCP Protocol Home)

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Norman <no...@apache.org>.
Stefano Bagnara schrieb:
> Trustin Lee ha scritto:
>
>> Unfortunately, I am not a DNS expert either.  We will give you as much
>> support as we can if you have any questions about MINA.  But it's not
>> free; you need to give us a rant whenever you find MINA sucks! ;)
>>
>> It seems like we have three libraries on our table; dnsjava, dnsjnio,
>> and ADS DNS protocol provider.  The authors of all three libraries
>> could start to talk about getting the force together to form more
>> sustainable community.
>>
>> I'll CC the authors of dnsjava and dnsjnio in case they are interested.
>>

> I had conversations with both authors in past.
>
> Alex (author of dnsjnio) already contacted Brian (author of dnsjava)
> about extending dnsjava for asynchronous operations but Brian lately is
> much less active on dnsjava and only applies few bug fixes every few
> months (well, in fact I have also reported 2 really small, but critical
> to me, bugs a while ago and they still have to be applied).
>
> I also spoke to Alex about switching the licensing for dnsjnio to a BSD
> or ASLv2 license, and he started evaluating this issue with his company.
>
> As no one here seems to be a DNS expert imho we HAVE TO use dnsjava
> basic objects as a start because we don't know all the
> specifics/workarounds that could have been applied to such a widely
> adopted codebase and I'm pretty convinced that it would take a much
> bigger effort to rewrite also the message objects and codecs from scratch.
>
> Also, an asynchronous dns library IMHO does not belong to the directory
> project and should not have dependencies on anything in directory.
>
> The DNS library should be a very small library depending only on MINA.
>
> Stefano

I fully agree with you. So I'm really looking forward to get things
done. After we have done all the "core" stuff we can switch the Message
objects if we want.

So let's get started and get a lab ;-)

bye
Norman

Re: DNS Protocol (Was: DHCP Protocol Home)

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.