Posted to dev@vxquery.apache.org by Vinayak Borkar <vb...@yahoo.com> on 2009/11/17 04:23:51 UTC

Resolved Issues in JIRA

Guys,

What is the usual lifecycle of issues in Apache projects?
We have a bunch of issues marked "Resolved" in JIRA. Can I go ahead and
close them?

In general, lets say X reports a bug and assigns it to Y. Y fixes the
issue, does Y mark it as resolved?

Is the assignee changed to X, so they get a chance to try the issue out
and close it if it is indeed fixed? Or can the developer (Y in this
case) can go ahead and do that unilaterally?

Thanks,
Vinayak

Re: Resolved Issues in JIRA

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@westmann.org>.
On Nov 18, 2009, at 7:34 PM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 10:39 PM, Vinayak Borkar <vb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> What if we do the following?
>> 1. Fix the issue, mark it as resolved, and assign it to the original issue
>> creator. The issue creator has the opportunity to reopen it or add a comment
>> that it is indeed fixed.
>
> Assigning to the creator is redundant, IMO. The creator is notified
> anyways and has the opportunity to react.

But if it's assigned as well, then the creator will find also it in his "assigned to me" list.
So it could be useful if the mail gets lost or forgotten.

Till

Re: Resolved Issues in JIRA

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Germanys national anthem is the most boring in the world - how telling!

Re: Resolved Issues in JIRA

Posted by Vinayak Borkar <vb...@yahoo.com>.
> May we can close some issues that are not really relevant for the deliverable (like "set up mailing lists") earlier, but everything should be closed by the time we release.

Ok. I will go ahead and close all the issues related to project setup.

Vinayak

Re: Resolved Issues in JIRA

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@westmann.org>.
On Nov 17, 2009, at 10:39 PM, Vinayak Borkar wrote:

>>> If so, I'd propose that the reporter verifies the resolution and closes the issue.
>>> However, I also would like to know how other projects handle this.
>> Totally different. For example, in XML-RPC, we leave the issues
>> "resolved" until we publish a new release, in which case we use the
>> "resolved" issues to create a report and close them.
>> Jochen
>
> What if we do the following?
> 1. Fix the issue, mark it as resolved, and assign it to the original issue creator. The issue creator has the opportunity to reopen it or add a comment that it is indeed fixed.
> 2. We leave resolved issues as "resolved" until release time. We create ChangeLog entried from the resolved issues and close them.

Sounds good to me.

Re: Resolved Issues in JIRA

Posted by Vinayak Borkar <vb...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Resolved Issues in JIRA

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Till Westmann <ti...@westmann.org> wrote:

> I would guess that the Apache answer to that question is: "The project decides".

Absolutely. :-)

Re: Resolved Issues in JIRA

Posted by Cezar Andrei <ce...@gmail.com>.
In XMLBeans project, Y fixes, resolves the isue and assigns to X for
checking and closing. If X doesn't close it for a while (usually more than
several months) than Y or any commiter can close it. If X is not satisfied
he can always reopen the issue.

Cezar

Re: Resolved Issues in JIRA

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@westmann.org>.
I would guess that the Apache answer to that question is: "The project decides". If so, I'd propose that the reporter verifies the resolution and closes the issue.