Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Rakesh Setty <se...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2009/07/07 20:37:21 UTC

Issue with nested types

Hi,

            The issue of nested types addressed recently through JIRA HIVE-603 is very useful. But I have an issue with the schema specification.
            I have a table page_views with two columns - page_info is a map with key delimiter as Ctrl-D and the key-value pair (record) delimiter as Ctrl-C and page_links is a list of maps with each list item separated using Ctrl-B, map delimiters being Ctrl-D and Ctrl-C as mentioned above.
            In the DDL statement, if I do not specify "collection items terminated by" and "array items terminated by" clauses, page_links is deserialized properly, but page_info is not deserialized properly. If I specify the clauses - collection items terminated by '\003' and map keys terminated by '\004', page_info is deserialized properly but page_links is not deserialized properly. The reason I think is that in page_links it considers '\003' or Ctrl-C as delimiter for both array and map record. But I have Ctrl-B as array delimiter and Ctrl-D as map record delimiter.
            I think we should replace the clause "collection items terminated by" with separate clauses like "list items terminated by" and "map items terminated by".

Thanks,
Rakesh