Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Brent Atkinson <br...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/03 20:08:25 UTC

Help with release process (rollback or not?)

Greetings everyone,

After chasing down the final pieces that I needed I started to prepare a
1.4.3 release for a vote. However, I realized that when following the
release instructions, I misinterpreted the order of operations for the
release notes.

I have performed the release process steps up to, but not including, step 6
from http://continuum.apache.org/development/release.html:

6. Call for a vote in the dev list and wait for 72 hours for the vote
> results. 3 binding votes from PMC members are necessary for the release to
> be finalized

The release notes that were tagged were not updated. However, since the doc
module does not appear to be versioned with the main project (it is
1.4.3-SNAPSHOT and not 1.4.3), can I just
update continuum-docs/src/site/xdoc/release-notes.xml and restage the docs
or do I have to go about rolling everything back?

Thanks for your help,

Brent

Re: Help with release process (rollback or not?)

Posted by Brent Atkinson <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

So, after thinking about what was involved ended up doing the following:

 * branched from tags/continuum-1.4.3 to make
branches/continuum-1.4.3-notes-fixup
 * fixed the release notes on trunk to include 1.4.3 issues from Jira
 * merged the changes back to the fixup branch
 * replaced the continuum-1.4.3 tag with the branch

Considering repeatability: only continuum-docs changed, which is not part
of the product build. This should not affect the artifacts staged for
release from the tag (aside from the subversion revision) so it should have
no effect on repeatability.

Let me know if I have made a mistake with my thinking. I am going to check
the results myself and I will call a vote shortly.

Thanks,

Brent

Posted by Brent Atkinson <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

Community members testing the releases and voting is helpful information
and possibly could influence a binding vote, but whether a release passes
or not depends votes from Project Management Committee (PMC) members.

>From http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html:

Binding Votes

Who is permitted to vote is, to some extent, a community-specific thing.
> However, the basic rule is that only PMC members have binding votes, and
> all others are either discouraged from voting (to keep the noise down) or
> else have their votes considered of an indicative or advisory nature only.
> That's the general rule. In actual fact, things tend to be a little
> looser, and procedural votes from developers and committers are sometimes
> considered binding if the voter has acquired enough merit and respect in
> the community. Only votes by PMC members are considered binding on
> code-modification issues, however.

I hope that helps. Thank you for asking!

Brent

Posted by Mark Gerard <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brent -