Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Shashi Kant <sk...@sloan.mit.edu> on 2009/10/04 13:22:31 UTC

NAS/SAN Devices (slightly off-topic)

Hi,

Apologies this is not a Lucene question per se...however I am in need
of some sage advice... We anticipate our indices to be very large (on
the order of a a few TB each)., and there will be 5-10 of them. Hence
we are looking at NAS or SANs with 15-20TB storage.

My questions;

1. Any recommendations on hosting providers (US/Canada based) that
provide storage on such scale? If you are not comfortable sharing
online, please email me offline. I promise to keep it confidential.

2. Any "lessons learned" when working with such large indices? Of
course, I will do my homework, but any "Must-Do"s & "Never Do"s on
configurations that jump out, would save us all some sweat and tears.

Thanks all!
Shashi