Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2005/09/04 02:32:17 UTC

Re: cocoon 2 speech?

[CC'd to Forrest]

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> came across
>
>  http://freetts.sourceforge.net/
>
> the first demo of cocoon that I ever did in public was a hello world
> page in html, pdf, svg and voicexml, with the little merlin dude
> speaking 'hello world' to the audience (got a standing ovation for
> that!) It always bugged me that I needed an external tool for that that
> worked only on windows... but I found this.
>
> Have no time, but it would be cool if somebody could write a
> voicexml->wav serializer using that (it's BSD).

This really would be cool. Over on Forrest we have a whiteboard VoiceXML
plugin (donated by a GSoC student who did not get an award but still got
us started on the plugin, thanks HANAX). This plugin renders any Forrest
page as voice XML. Currently it only works with VoiceXML enabled
browsers (e.g. Opera on Windows), a serialiser would be great, even
better if we can then stream the result.

Ross

Re: cocoon 2 speech?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
 > Ross Gardler wrote:
 >
 >> [CC'd to Forrest]
 >>
 >> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
 >>
 >>> came across
 >>>
 >>>  http://freetts.sourceforge.net/
 >>>
 >>> the first demo of cocoon that I ever did in public was a hello world
 >>> page in html, pdf, svg and voicexml, with the little merlin dude
 >>> speaking 'hello world' to the audience (got a standing ovation for
 >>> that!) It always bugged me that I needed an external tool for that
 >>> that worked only on windows... but I found this.
 >>>
 >>> Have no time, but it would be cool if somebody could write a
 >>> voicexml->wav serializer using that (it's BSD).
 >>

 >> This really would be cool. Over on Forrest we have a whiteboard
 >> VoiceXML plugin (donated by a GSoC student who did not get an award
 >> but still got us started on the plugin, thanks HANAX). This plugin
 >> renders any Forrest page as voice XML. Currently it only works with
 >> VoiceXML enabled browsers (e.g. Opera on Windows), a serialiser would
 >> be great, even better if we can then stream the result.
 >

 > There's more to VoiceXML than just text-to-speech.

Yes, you can use voice to navigate a Forrest site using the VoceXML
plugin as well, functionlaity is basic (go to section X, go back a
section, read this part etc.) I plan to use it to make an Toy Library
catalogue available to visually impaired users via VOIP and telephone.

 >\You should have a
 > look at JVoiceXML [1], a VoiceXML browser that uses Freetts. It's LGPL
 > though.

Shame about LGPL, but thanks for the pointer, we failed to find that
when looking for .

Ross

[1] http://jvoicexml.sourceforge.net/

Re: cocoon 2 speech?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: cocoon 2 speech?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> [CC'd to Forrest]
>
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> came across
>>
>>  http://freetts.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> the first demo of cocoon that I ever did in public was a hello world
>> page in html, pdf, svg and voicexml, with the little merlin dude
>> speaking 'hello world' to the audience (got a standing ovation for
>> that!) It always bugged me that I needed an external tool for that
>> that worked only on windows... but I found this.
>>
>> Have no time, but it would be cool if somebody could write a
>> voicexml->wav serializer using that (it's BSD).
>

> This really would be cool. Over on Forrest we have a whiteboard
> VoiceXML plugin (donated by a GSoC student who did not get an award
> but still got us started on the plugin, thanks HANAX). This plugin
> renders any Forrest page as voice XML. Currently it only works with
> VoiceXML enabled browsers (e.g. Opera on Windows), a serialiser would
> be great, even better if we can then stream the result.

There's more to VoiceXML than just text-to-speech. You should have a
look at JVoiceXML [1], a VoiceXML browser that uses Freetts. It's LGPL
though.

Sylvain

[1] http://jvoicexml.sourceforge.net/

Re: cocoon 2 speech?