Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Struts Newsgroup (@Basebeans.com)" <st...@basebeans.com> on 2002/07/28 16:40:03 UTC

Keeping track of users

Subject: Keeping track of users
From: J Isv <ji...@btopenworld.com>
 ===
Hi,
I'm quite new to struts and I'm sure there would be a common solution to
this question.
Is there a standard way to keep track of users logged onto the web
application? If there is, how to you handle the situation where they've
simply closed the browser (perhaps this causes an event - I don't know),
where their PC has crashed, or even if they've logged into the
application multiple times (assuming this is allowed in business logic).
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
J.

Re: Keeping track of users

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
 From what I gather, the only way to tell immediately is to have had a
request made and to have an exception be thrown when you try to send
data to the output stream.  I'm not sure exactly how it works - I am not
that concerned with measuring such things.  You could, using the session
binding techniques another poster described, and some sort of attribute
of the bean you're binding, manage for the bean to know whether it is
being removed because of a timeout, or because you have explicitly said
for it to be removed.  Then, knowing what your server uses as a timeout
(I'm sure there's some way to get this, though I don't know how
personally) you could subtract that amount of time from the duration of
their logon to get a closer approximation of how long their session was
valid.

HTH,

Eddie