Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/16 09:55:58 UTC

Is our objective for 2.0 too ambitious? (was Re: Ivy 2.0 planning)

More than one month ago we agreed to focus on bug fixing for 2.0 final (see
my original mail below).
At that time we had about 80+ issues targeted at 2.0.
Since then it seems we have fixed 57 issues:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=12310580&fixfor=12313012

But we still have 64 issues to fix, which shows that new issues comes up (or
some where retargeted or created to detail issues being fixed).

This leads me to one question: is our objective to fix all open bugs for 2.0
too ambitious? I'm not sure I'll have much time to dedicate to Ivy in the
coming months, I don't know for you guys, but maybe this objective will lead
us to a delayed release. At the end of the month Ivy 1.0 will be 3 years old
(1.0 was released on April 26th, 2005), almost half of those three years
were spent @ ASF, with no final release.

I think Ivy community need a release labelled as final no later than may or
june, and I'm not sure we can reach this with our current objective.

So, what do you think? Shall we reconsider our objective for 2.0, and
retarget some of the issues for a 2.0.x?

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: Is our objective for 2.0 too ambitious?

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
On 16/04/2008, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > So, what do you think? Shall we reconsider our objective for 2.0,
>  > and retarget some of the issues for a 2.0.x?
>
>  Comments from the peanut gallery:
>
>  There are certain categories of bugs that you can't really re-target,
>  those that would require API (both Java and XML) changes or those that
>  are critical and break existing use-cases of Ivy 1.x.

+1 for the XML, but -1 for the java API.
We discussed already in the past about 'publishing' our API [1].  I
think the API is now a way too complexe, and cleaning it would
requires a lot of effort.  I think we should warn our users that the
API may (and I hope will) change in the futur

[1] http://markmail.org/message/dm54bglzuvrsgddm

>  Then there are "nice-to-have" features or "can-be-worked-around" bugs.
>
>  You'll probably never get to any final release without accepting that
>  it will ship with issues of the later category.  Fix those of the
>  first category and call the result final, probably is the best way
>  forward.
>
>  Stefan

Gilles Scokart

Re: Is our objective for 2.0 too ambitious?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Is our objective for 2.0 too ambitious? (was Re: Ivy 2.0 planning)

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Le 18 avr. 08 à 12:07, Xavier Hanin a écrit :

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 8:48 AM, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> especially if
>>>

>>> ha, good point :)
>>>

>> Maybe updating the target release...  Using the release 2.0-RC1 and
>> creating a new release named 'later'.
>
> This is the easiest thing to do, it doesn't require changing the
> workflow.
> BTW, instead of creating a release named 'later', we can simply use
> the
> "Unknown" entry, which let issues appear as "unscheduled" in Ivy
> page on
> JIRA.
>
> If I sumup the proposal is that any committer can review any issue
> currently
> marked with fix for 2.0, change its priority if required, and change
> the fix
> for to 2.0-RC1 if the priority is blocker or critical, and Unknown
> if the
> priority is lower. All issues will be considered reviewed once
> there's no
> more issue with fix for 2.0.
>
> Do we all agree to use this strategy?

Sounds good.
+1

Nicolas

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: Is our objective for 2.0 too ambitious? (was Re: Ivy 2.0 planning)

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@anyware-tech.com>.
Le jeudi 17 avril 2008, Xavier Hanin a écrit :
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Nicolas Lalevée <
>
> nicolas.lalevee@anyware-tech.com> wrote:
> > Le jeudi 17 avril 2008, Xavier Hanin a écrit :

> > you

> > due

> > you

> > really

> > there

> > Here

> > impacting

> > can

> > their

> > > That sounds like a good practice. What do others think? How do we
> >
> > proceed
> >
> > > to classify the open bugs?
> >
> > I am in favor of a such classification too. About the process to classify
> > them, I would say that it would be the same process as fixing issues. A
> > committer get interested to an issue, try to found out to what's behind,
> > and
> > then decides its priority. And the other committers check via the
> > notifications@ant list.
>
> But how do we know that the issue priority has been reviewed, especially if
> it doesn't change?

ha, good point :)

So I guess the review have to be done by some volonteers, the list of
remaining issues being shared between them.
I think I can get some time at the end of next week to help.

Nicolas

> Xavier
>
> > Nicolas
> >
> > > Xavier

> > final

> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pi

> > comes

> > --
> > Nicolas LALEVÉE
> > ANYWARE TECHNOLOGIES
> > Tel : +33 (0)5 61 00 52 90
> > Fax : +33 (0)5 61 00 51 46
> > http://www.anyware-tech.com

Nicolas LALEVÉE
ANYWARE TECHNOLOGIES
Tel : +33 (0)5 61 00 52 90
Fax : +33 (0)5 61 00 51 46
http://www.anyware-tech.com

Re: Is our objective for 2.0 too ambitious? (was Re: Ivy 2.0 planning)

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
--- Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Bruce Atherton
>
> > Typically you would use a new Status, but I am
> uncertain about how much
> > control you have over the Apache Jira instance.
> Can you introduce new
> > workflow for your project?
>
> It seems I can, but I'm not sure about the policy.
> Maybe other Ant members
> can comment on this?
>

> > I don't think that merely setting the priority
> should result in moving
> > between Open and In Progress. There should be an
> intermediate state.
>
> Cocoon workflow has "OnHold" and "Continued" status,
> that we could use to
> indicate that all bugs are OnHold until we review
> their priorities.
>
> What do you guys think?

I don't think you need permission to use resources
already at your disposal, here JIRA statuses (stati?),
as you see fit.  ;)

-Matt

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: Is our objective for 2.0 too ambitious? (was Re: Ivy 2.0 planning)

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: Is our objective for 2.0 too ambitious? (was Re: Ivy 2.0 planning)

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@anyware-tech.com>.
Le jeudi 17 avril 2008, Xavier Hanin a écrit :
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 3:32 AM, Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com> wrote:
> > I think you have to accept that there will be bugs. After all, would you
> > halt the whole release if a minor bug was found the day before it was due
> > to be published?
> >
> > But there are different categories of bugs. Some are so serious that you
> > don't want to roll a release with it no matter what. This category really
> > should result in pulling a release the day before publishing. Then there
> > is a descending scale after that.
> >
> > My suggestion would be to use the Priority field for this purpose. Here
> > is how I use the Jira priorities:
> >  - Anything labeled "Blocker" should be fixed ASAP. It might be impacting
> > other developers working from the tip or perhaps breaking Gump.
> >  - "Critical" is for anything that has to be fixed before a release can
> > go out.
> >  - "Major" issues should be targeted for fixing for a release and their
> > number kept as low as possible, but if any ended up in a release you
> > wouldn't lose sleep over it.
> >  - "Minor" issues are the "nice-to-haves".
> >  - "Trivial" issues are ones that someone has complained about but the
> > developers don't see that fixing them would significantly improve the
> > product.
> >
> > If you have some sort of standard like that to go by, I think you can
> > fairly rapidly differentiate the bugs and then define a release as: No
> > Blockers or Criticals, and as few Majors as is practical to accomplish
> > within the time span available. The number of Minors and Trivials are
> > ignored.
>
> That sounds like a good practice. What do others think? How do we proceed
> to classify the open bugs?

I am in favor of a such classification too. About the process to classify
them, I would say that it would be the same process as fixing issues. A
committer get interested to an issue, try to found out to what's behind, and
then decides its priority. And the other committers check via the
notifications@ant list.

Nicolas

> Xavier
>
> > Xavier Hanin wrote:
> > > More than one month ago we agreed to focus on bug fixing for 2.0 final
> > > (see
> > > my original mail below).
> > > At that time we had about 80+ issues targeted at 2.0.
> > > Since then it seems we have fixed 57 issues:
> > >
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pi
> > >d=12310580&fixfor=12313012
> > >
> > > But we still have 64 issues to fix, which shows that new issues comes
> > > up (or
> > > some where retargeted or created to detail issues being fixed).
> > >
> > > This leads me to one question: is our objective to fix all open bugs
> > > for 2.0
> > > too ambitious?

Nicolas LALEVÉE
ANYWARE TECHNOLOGIES
Tel : +33 (0)5 61 00 52 90
Fax : +33 (0)5 61 00 51 46
http://www.anyware-tech.com

Re: Is our objective for 2.0 too ambitious? (was Re: Ivy 2.0 planning)

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: Is our objective for 2.0 too ambitious? (was Re: Ivy 2.0 planning)

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.