Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Gyula Fóra <gy...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/03 13:40:19 UTC

RichFunctions and Streaming

Hey,

I see that you have changed and moved around a lot of things regarding the
functions for the API. Also these Rich functions were introduced.

Since it pretty much broke our whole API and I have to rewrite a lot of
things, do you think I should use the RichFunctions instead of the standard
ones? Or are you going to support both in the API?

Regards,
Gyula

Re: RichFunctions and Streaming

Posted by Kostas Tzoumas <ko...@tu-berlin.de>.
Hi Gyula,

Sorry for not giving you a heads up for this. We changed the API to work on
the interfaces that contain one abstract method rather than the rich
functions in order to support Java 8 lambdas down the road (this is not
done yet). We did this now in order to bundle as many breaking changes as
possible in the 0.6 release.

The API will support both rich and standard functions. In order to use a
standard function, you need to implement the FooFunction interface of the
common API (e.g., MapFunction) , in order to use a rich function you need
to extend the RichFooFunction class. The examples have also been
refactored.

You can use either, depending on whether you need the extra functionality
provided by the rich functions. I think that it would be a good idea to
also allow the user of the streaming API to use the simple functions to the
degree that this is possible. Take a look also at the "Functions" paragraph
of this PR: https://github.com/apache/incubator-flink/pull/87

Kostas

Posted by Gyula Fóra <gy...@gmail.com>.