Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Steve Moyer <sm...@psu.edu> on 2015/04/22 01:56:22 UTC

[Community] SCIM framework, implementation and tools

Shawn,

Our SCIM implementation is only tangentially related to Fortress ... we
use ftProps for SCIM attributes not included in inetOrgPerson and we use
ftRA for SCIM User.roles attributes
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-scim-core-schema-17#section-4.1.2).

You're right, this e-mail probably should have been sent to
dev@directory.apache.org - I've moved the thread there now.

Emmanuel, Kiran et al,

Is the Apache Directory project still interested in a fully-typed
implementation of the SCIM protocol?  See the thread contents below.

Steve

--
"One longs, in reading your code, to walk on all fours" - Voltaire

Re: [Community] SCIM framework, implementation and tools

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
Hi Steve,

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 7:56 AM, Steve Moyer <sm...@psu.edu> wrote:

> Shawn,
>
> Our SCIM implementation is only tangentially related to Fortress ... we
> use ftProps for SCIM attributes not included in inetOrgPerson and we use
> ftRA for SCIM User.roles attributes
> (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-scim-core-schema-17#section-4.1.2
> ).
>
> You're right, this e-mail probably should have been sent to
> dev@directory.apache.org - I've moved the thread there now.
>
> Emmanuel, Kiran et al,
>
> Is the Apache Directory project still interested in a fully-typed
> implementation of the SCIM protocol?  See the thread contents below.
>
> Steve
>
> On 04/21/2015 06:16 PM, Shawn McKinney wrote:
> >> On Apr 21, 2015, at 3:24 PM, Steve Moyer <sm...@psu.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >> We've started the process of open-sourcing our SCIM implementation,
> >> which was originally branched from the Apache Directory eSCIMo project.
> >> It's diverged so far at this point that it really can't be merged back
> >> in, but we'd like to contribute it back to the community as a second
> >> implementation (using a fully-typed Java system versus the mapper that
> >> eSCIMo provides).

 looks like the current implementation is tightly integrated with LDAP, is
that the case?
eSCIMo's goal is to work with any sort of backend and allow flexibility in
configuring
attributes to create any sort of SCIM resource type.

otoh, I am not sure why you chose to fork eSCIMo and keep it private for
two years
only to opensource now. I am confident that could have done a great amount
of work
if collaborated here at ASF.

frankly, I am a bit disappointed with this proposal cause it appears like
looking for a maintainer
for the code dump.

> >> I just plugged OpenLDAP, Fortress and Apache Directory on the SCIM
> >> mailing list
> >> (http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/scim/current/msg02251.html) but
> >> didn't want to direct them to the source code just yet.  As we clean and
> >> generalize the code, we'll be putting it into Github until this project
> >> is formally adopted by the Apache Directory project.  It's probably
> >> going to take a while for the complete code to be available, but you can
> >> follow its progress at https://github.com/selesy/scim.
> >>
> >> Note that if the Apache Directory project isn't interested in our SCIM
> >> libraries and tools, we'll move this over to the PennState Github
> account.
> > Steve,
> >
> > what relationship does your scim impl have with fortress?  It is
> dependent on the core?  What options do you see for a future component -
> standalone sdk artifact?  So someone who needs a scim impl in java could
> use your component + fortress core + (one of the) directories?
> >
> > We should move this discussion into the developers list as that group
> will need to weigh in on this proposal.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Shawn
> > smckinney@apache.org
>
> --
> "One longs, in reading your code, to walk on all fours" - Voltaire

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com