Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Faheem Mitha <fa...@email.unc.edu> on 2003/01/16 05:57:00 UTC

[users@httpd] using apache only as a local server

Dear People,

I just installed apache version 1.3.27 on Debian GNU/Linux. My machine
is a dialup and I just want to use apache as a local server, for local
document searches and so on. So I don't want anyone accessing it from
outside.

My question is, what is the cleanest way to disable apache from having
any kind of contact with the outside? For example, would it be best to
stop it listening on any ports, or is there a better way? If stopping
it listening is the best approach, how should I accomplish this?

I've spent some time looking over the documentation. While there
appear to be several things I could try to accomplish this goal, it is
not clear to me which would be the best.

Thanks in advance.
                                                     Faheem.

[users@httpd] Re: using apache only as a local server

Posted by Faheem Mitha <fa...@email.unc.edu>.
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 00:37:01 -0500, Jurgen <ap...@squarehosting.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> if you don't want to use a firewall you can specify just a local IP
> with the Listen directive.
>
> Listen 192.168.10.10:80
>
> This way the web server will not respond to requests coming to your
> internet IP. But you will need a network interface with the IP you
> are using. If you just connect from the computer itself you could
> probably use just
>
> Listen 127.0.0.1:80
>
> Jurgen

This appears to work. Thanks. However, could I alternatively have used

Allow from 127.0.0.1

Would this have the same effect? If so, is there any reason to prefer
one over the other?

                                                          Faheem.

Re: [users@httpd] using apache only as a local server

Posted by Jurgen <ap...@squarehosting.com>.
Hi,

if you don't want to use a firewall you can specify just a local IP with the Listen directive.

Listen 192.168.10.10:80

This way the web server will not respond to requests coming to your internet IP. But you will need a network interface with the IP you are using.

If you just connect from the computer itself you could probably use just

Listen 127.0.0.1:80

Jurgen