Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Patrick Meyer <me...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/02 14:46:00 UTC

[math] psychometrics

Hi All,

I have been developing an pure Java application that does a variety of
psychometric methods. I use the commons math library as much as I can
but I've also had to develop my own library. I'd like to combine the two
libraries by donating as much of my code to commons math as I can. My
library includes features for measurement reliability, test scaling,
test equating, polychoric correlations, histogram computations, kernel
regression, etc. Most of these feature are specialized to psychometrics,
but is there any interest in adding them to commons math? Are these
methods too specialized for commons math?

If you're interested in seeing the application in action, you can
download the full program from www.ItemAnalysis.com. You'll notice that
it also uses an Apache derby database for data management.

Re: [math] psychometrics

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 9/3/11 1:45 PM, Greg Sterijevski wrote:
> I've got you covered here. Phil, if you don't mind, I will float a few ideas
> for multivariate interfaces. Then I will push a few examples of MVN?

I think Patrick wants to do it, but is just being polite ;)

Seriously, go for it, Greg.  Start by proposing some API ideas and
then we can work on implementation.

Phil

Re: [math] psychometrics

Posted by Greg Sterijevski <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: [math] psychometrics

Posted by Patrick Meyer <me...@gmail.com>.

Re: [math] psychometrics

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 9/3/11 10:37 AM, Patrick Meyer wrote:
> No, I have written very few tests. Until I recently discovered
> jUnit, I was using a very crude way of testing my code. I plan to
> add more tests over the coming year.
>
> If you are registered with java.net, you can view the source code
> at http://java.net/projects/psychometrics. I have requested that
> the project be made public but I don't know how long that will take.
>
> There is one dependency in the polychoric correlation package
> (com.itemanalysis.polycor) that could be problematic. The maximum
> likelihood estimator requires a multivariate normal (or at least
> bivariate normal) CDF. I use the one from
> http://vadim.kutsyy.com/java/javadoc/com/kutsyy/util/package-summary.html
> Are there plans to add a multivaraite normal CDF function to
> commons math?

Patches welcome :)

Phil

Re: [math] psychometrics