Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/07 08:03:00 UTC

Newbie: How to set up HDFS file system

Hello,

Can someone provide some pointers on how to set up a HDFS file system? I
tried searching in the document but could not find anything with respect to
this.

--Ashish

Re: Newbie: How to set up HDFS file system

Posted by Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone. I was able to set up a single node hadoop. I was also able
to run few HDFS commands like -copyFromLocal. Also ran the word count
program. I have few more questions which I will put in another email.

++Ashish

Posted by Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leonid Fedotov <lf...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Newbie: How to set up HDFS file system

Posted by Leonid Fedotov <lf...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Newbie: How to set up HDFS file system

Posted by Devin Suiter RDX <ds...@rdx.com>.
Installing Hadoop will install HDFS, and you will need to declare storage
directories on the host nodes, etc. There is also the question of what
setup you want to use, there is what is called "pseudo-distributed" mode
where all the Hadoop daemons are running in one host.

Are you a student looking to study, or are you wanting to set up something
for work? For study, the pseudo-distributed mode is easy and can run in
virtual machines easily. You will then have access to the HDFS utility, can
set up users and directories, but do not need much resources.

*Devin Suiter*
Jr. Data Solutions Software Engineer
Google Voice: 412-256-8556 | www.rdx.com

Posted by Devin Suiter RDX <ds...@rdx.com>.

Posted by Devin Suiter RDX <ds...@rdx.com>.

Posted by Devin Suiter RDX <ds...@rdx.com>.

Posted by Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leonid Fedotov <lf...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Newbie: How to set up HDFS file system

Posted by Leonid Fedotov <lf...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE