Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2008/07/02 15:28:36 UTC

JAX-RS version and 2.1.2

Sergey's commit brings up an interesting topic for discussion:

In general, when doing patch releases, I've tried to keep the impact
to a bare minimum.  I have ported new features to the patch branches,
but pretty much only if it doesn't affect existing usage.    Sergey
has done a fantastic job of updating the JAX-RS stuff to the latest
0.8 spec and it would be good to get people to change to using that.
However, it is a change that could affect existing code.    So, should
that be part of 2.1.2 or wait for 2.2?

Pros/cons of adding to 2.1.2:
Pro: It's significantly better and has a bunch of bugs fixed
Pro: It's closer to the final spec (although the spec is still changing)
Pro: Going forward, people will need to migrate to it anyway

Con: it does affect existing apps

The main con to making it 2.2 only is that 2.2 is quite a ways away.
People have been asking for some of this stuff so making them wait
that long could be an issue.

Anyway, I'd like peoples thoughts on this.  I've cc'd the users list
as well as I'd really like the users opinions as well.    If the users
are willing to take the migration hit, I'm more than OK with putting
it for 2.1.2.

---
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: JAX-RS version and 2.1.2

Posted by Brice <br...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I agree on this point, then you have won another one who support 2.1.2.

Bryce

RE: JAX-RS version and 2.1.2

Posted by "Johnson, Eric" <Er...@iona.com>.
It sounds like there is agreement that the new JAX-RS stuff should come
out sooner rather than later. The remaining issue is what to label the
release. Is this correct?

Personally, I agree with Sergey on this. The JAX-RS bump to 0.8 does not
warrant being a 2.2 release on its own merits. The spec is still in flux
and the users of the API are likely to expect some changes as the spec
matures to a 1.0.
If there are other changes that break compatibility in the more stable
parts of CXF then a bump to 2.2 would be warranted.

<se...@iona.com>

----------------------------

Re: JAX-RS version and 2.1.2

> Actualy I'm not saying to wait for 2.2. I'm rather proposing to label the
> next release with your updated JAXRS work a 2.2, and the next big release
> which is "*quite ways away*" be labeled a 2.3.
>

> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 11:33, Sergey Beryozkin <se...@iona.com>
> wrote:
>
>> While it's all about the good classical versioning scheme, I'm not
>> convinced
>> postponing jax-rs updates up untill 2.2 is a practical idea.
>> 2.2 will probably be released some time in the end of the year and for cxf
>> users who prefer to stick for whatever reasons to its jax-rs implementation
>> is not really acceptable.
>>
>> Note that JAX-RS itself is still in its 0.X version. Surely it's normal to
>> expect that changes from
>> 0,7 to 0.8 and up until 1.0 will cause some breaking changes.
>>
>> As such I'm against postponing it until 2.2
>>
>> Cheers. Sergey
>>

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brice" <br...@gmail.com>

----------------------------
Registered Number: 171387

Re: JAX-RS version and 2.1.2

Posted by Brice <br...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> While it's all about the good classical versioning scheme, I'm not
> convinced
> postponing jax-rs updates up untill 2.2 is a practical idea.
> 2.2 will probably be released some time in the end of the year and for cxf
> users who prefer to stick for whatever reasons to its jax-rs implementation
> is not really acceptable.
>
> Note that JAX-RS itself is still in its 0.X version. Surely it's normal to
> expect that changes from
> 0,7 to 0.8 and up until 1.0 will cause some breaking changes.
>
> As such I'm against postponing it until 2.2
>
> Cheers. Sergey
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brice" <br...@gmail.com>

Brice Dutheil

Re: JAX-RS version and 2.1.2

> Well, I think it shouldn't be a 2.1.2, the last number should be only
> incremented when the release is about fixes and doesn't break things.
>
> In my point of view the next version should be a 2.2 as it seems to break
> things even if it is only on the jaxrs spec, and then a 2.3 version could be
> the next one as it seems to bring even more changes.
>
> While I think it cannot be entirely applied there, I'll tell you versionning
> scheme I had on some past project:
>   X.Y.Z-R
> Where X is mean for breaking changes of the API, Y for additions to the API,
> Z for internal code changes without any API modification, and R for patches
> of the current revision.
>

> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 20:08, Johnson, Eric <Er...@iona.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm +1 on including the changes in 2.1.2. Sergey's comments lead me to
>> believe that the changes will not have an impact on a majority of users
>> of the JAX-RS stuff.
>> Also, I agree with Benson that people looking for stability are not
>> using the JAX-RS stuff. The spec is still a moving target.

----------------------------
Registered Number: 171387

Re: JAX-RS version and 2.1.2

Posted by Brice <br...@gmail.com>.

--
Brice Dutheil

Re: JAX-RS version and 2.1.2

Posted by Anthony Schexnaildre <ap...@gmail.com>.
+1 on 2.1.2 also

RE: JAX-RS version and 2.1.2

Re: JAX-RS version and 2.1.2

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@verizon.net>.
+1 for 2.1.2.  People who want to code to the JAX-RS specification, by
definition, want to code to the JAX-RS specification, and understand
that their code needs to evolve as JAX-RS does, until JAX-RS is at a
final released version.  It would be a different story if these were
changes being made on top of an official released version of JAX-RS
(i.e., JAX-RS 2.0 instead of 1.0)--but JSR 311 isn't there yet.  Another
problem with placing it at 2.2 is that CXF would then need to be
maintaining two versions of JAX-RS, the real one on the 2.2 branch and a
mutant and undocumented one on 2.1.x.

Glen

Re: JAX-RS version and 2.1.2

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: JAX-RS version and 2.1.2

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <se...@iona.com>.
Hi

I was about to send an update to the user's list.
This change, even though it's pretty big, should only affect the users who use
custom JAX-RS message body readers and/or writers. There've been patches
applied to the existing providers (JSON one), XMLObjects ones are shipped by CXF,
so it's only those users which have enhanced the existing providers and use them locally or use some other custom ones
which would be affected - note no changes to the actual application interfaces/code would be needed.
There's only one minor change which is actually to do with fixing the annotation inheritance issue bug which might affect some users
at the application level code....I'll send a seperate mail with the details...

Cheers, Sergey

> Sergey's commit brings up an interesting topic for discussion:
>
> In general, when doing patch releases, I've tried to keep the impact  to a bare minimum.  I have ported new features to the patch
> branches,  but pretty much only if it doesn't affect existing usage.    Sergey  has done a fantastic job of updating the JAX-RS
> stuff to the latest  0.8 spec and it would be good to get people to change to using that.   However, it is a change that could
> affect existing code.    So, should  that be part of 2.1.2 or wait for 2.2?
>
> Pros/cons of adding to 2.1.2:
> Pro: It's significantly better and has a bunch of bugs fixed
> Pro: It's closer to the final spec (although the spec is still changing)
> Pro: Going forward, people will need to migrate to it anyway
>
> Con: it does affect existing apps
>

> The main con to making it 2.2 only is that 2.2 is quite a ways away.    People have been asking for some of this stuff so making
> them wait  that long could be an issue.
>
> Anyway, I'd like peoples thoughts on this.  I've cc'd the users list  as well as I'd really like the users opinions as well.    If
> the users  are willing to take the migration hit, I'm more than OK with putting  it for 2.1.2.
>

> ---
> Daniel Kulp
> dkulp@apache.org
> http://www.dankulp.com/blog

----------------------------
Registered Number: 171387

Re: JAX-RS version and 2.1.2

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <se...@iona.com>.
Hi

I was about to send an update to the user's list.
This change, even though it's pretty big, should only affect the users who use
custom JAX-RS message body readers and/or writers. There've been patches
applied to the existing providers (JSON one), XMLObjects ones are shipped by CXF,
so it's only those users which have enhanced the existing providers and use them locally or use some other custom ones
which would be affected - note no changes to the actual application interfaces/code would be needed.
There's only one minor change which is actually to do with fixing the annotation inheritance issue bug which might affect some users
at the application level code....I'll send a seperate mail with the details...

Cheers, Sergey

> Sergey's commit brings up an interesting topic for discussion:
>
> In general, when doing patch releases, I've tried to keep the impact  to a bare minimum.  I have ported new features to the patch
> branches,  but pretty much only if it doesn't affect existing usage.    Sergey  has done a fantastic job of updating the JAX-RS
> stuff to the latest  0.8 spec and it would be good to get people to change to using that.   However, it is a change that could
> affect existing code.    So, should  that be part of 2.1.2 or wait for 2.2?
>
> Pros/cons of adding to 2.1.2:
> Pro: It's significantly better and has a bunch of bugs fixed
> Pro: It's closer to the final spec (although the spec is still changing)
> Pro: Going forward, people will need to migrate to it anyway
>
> Con: it does affect existing apps
>

> The main con to making it 2.2 only is that 2.2 is quite a ways away.    People have been asking for some of this stuff so making
> them wait  that long could be an issue.
>
> Anyway, I'd like peoples thoughts on this.  I've cc'd the users list  as well as I'd really like the users opinions as well.    If
> the users  are willing to take the migration hit, I'm more than OK with putting  it for 2.1.2.
>

> ---
> Daniel Kulp
> dkulp@apache.org
> http://www.dankulp.com/blog