Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Yavuz Maslak <ma...@ihlas.net.tr> on 2008/12/05 23:54:35 UTC

about fake mails

Sometimes, although anyone don't use domain.com's server, he sends many mails using himself smtp service as if these mails come from @domian.com.

the domain.com may be hotmail.com , gmail.com.

is there a rule for that so that we can give some score for these mails?

Re: about fake mails

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 06.12.08 00:54, Yavuz Maslak wrote:
> Sometimes, although anyone don't use domain.com's server, he sends many
> mails using himself smtp service as if these mails come from @domian.com.
>
> the domain.com may be hotmail.com , gmail.com.
>
> is there a rule for that so that we can give some score for these mails?

implement SPF and/or DKIM checks at SMTP level.

use SPF and DKIM plugins.

WinError #99999: Out of error messages.

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Just that most of the spam with a gmail.com sender *is* coming from Gmail
..

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

RE: about fake mails

Posted by Jeff Mincy <je...@delphioutpost.com>.
   From: "Giampaolo Tomassoni" <Gi...@Tomassoni.biz>
   > I have started to use dkim verification.  I defined whitelists in
   > local.cf.
   > it works.
   > But I could not find how I give high score for  a spammer who doesn't
   > use
   > gmail's mail servers.
   >
   > Although a  domain has domain keys, how can I give positive score for a
   > mail
   > which comes from a fake smtp server ?

   There is no direct way (to my knowledge) to do this.

   You have to apply a positive score to all mail claiming to be "From:" a
   gmail address, then apply a negative score voiding the first one to the
   DKim-verified ones.

You can write a meta rule for email that claims to be from gmail that
does not have DKIM.

   # add some penalty points to mail from yahoo and gmail.com which
   # does not carry a valid signature; exempt mail from mailing lists
   header __L_ML1       Precedence =~ m{\b(list|bulk)\b}i
   header __L_ML2       exists:List-Id
   header __L_ML3       exists:List-Post
   header __L_ML4       exists:Mailing-List
   header __L_HAS_SNDR  exists:Sender
   meta   __L_VIA_ML    (__L_ML1 || __L_ML2 || __L_ML3 || __L_ML4 || __L_HAS_SNDR)
   header __L_FROM_Y1   From:addr =~ m{[@.]yahoo\.com$}i
   header __L_FROM_Y2   From:addr =~ m{\@yahoo\.com\.(ar|br|cn|hk|my|sg)$}i
   header __L_FROM_Y3   From:addr =~ m{\@yahoo\.co\.(id|in|jp|nz|uk)$}i
   header __L_FROM_Y4   From:addr =~ m{\@yahoo\.(ca|de|dk|es|fr|gr|ie|it|pl|se)$}i
   meta   __L_FROM_YAHOO (__L_FROM_Y1 || __L_FROM_Y2 || __L_FROM_Y3 || __L_FROM_Y4)
   header __L_FROM_GMAIL From:addr =~ m{\@gmail\.com$}i
   meta     L_UNVERIFIED_YAHOO  (!DKIM_VERIFIED && !DK_VERIFIED && __L_FROM_YAHOO && !__L_VIA_ML)
   priority L_UNVERIFIED_YAHOO  500
   score    L_UNVERIFIED_YAHOO  2.5
   meta     L_UNVERIFIED_GMAIL  (!DKIM_VERIFIED && __L_FROM_GMAIL && !__L_VIA_ML)
   priority L_UNVERIFIED_GMAIL  500
   score    L_UNVERIFIED_GMAIL  2.5

I got these rules from this list.  I added !DK_VERIFIED to
L_UNVERIFIED_YAHOO.

-jeff

RE: about fake mails

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Sun, December 7, 2008 15:52, Giampaolo Tomassoni wrote:
> There is no direct way (to my knowledge) to do this.

perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf see whitelist_auth
perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::DKIM

but okay make a default spam score for DKIM signed mails works :)

and subtract it when its VERIFIED

> You have to apply a positive score to all mail claiming to be
> "From:" a gmail address, then apply a negative score voiding
> the first one to the DKim-verified ones.

i just add negative score when verified here

--
Benny Pedersen
Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098

RE: about fake mails

Posted by Giampaolo Tomassoni <Gi...@Tomassoni.biz>.

Giampaolo

Re: about fake mails

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.
Yavuz Maslak a écrit :
> Let me explain my problem and goal;
>
> For instance, a spammer installs a smtp server and he has a tool to send
> his mails. He writes abc@gmail.com in  from adress and He sends his
> mails using his smtp server. Namely, he doesn't use gmail's servers. I
> want to give high score for these sort of mails.
>
> Now I have written a rule according to Jeff and Matus,
> Thanks to both.
>
>   header __L_ML1       Precedence =~ m{\b(list|bulk)\b}i
>   header __L_ML2       exists:List-Id
>   header __L_ML3       exists:List-Post
>   header __L_ML4       exists:Mailing-List
>   header __L_HAS_SNDR  exists:Sender
>   meta   __L_VIA_ML    (__L_ML1 || __L_ML2 || __L_ML3 || __L_ML4 ||
> __L_HAS_SNDR)
>   header __L_FROM_GMAIL From:addr =~ m{\@gmail\.com$}i
>   meta     L_UNVERIFIED_GMAIL  (!DKIM_VERIFIED && __L_FROM_GMAIL &&
> !__L_VIA_ML)
>   priority L_UNVERIFIED_GMAIL  500
>   score    L_UNVERIFIED_GMAIL  2.5
>   meta     UNVERIFIED_GMAILMISS  (!DKIM_VERIFIED && DKIM_SIGNED &&
> __L_FROM_GMAIL && !__L_VIA_ML)
>   priority UNVERIFIED_GMAILMISS 600
>   score    UNVERIFIED_GMAILMISS 0.0
>
> any advances ?

copy the file
	http://www.netoyen.net/sa/dkim.cf
to your spamassassin rules directory (the directory where you have
local.cf). This file contains the rules suggested on
	http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/amavisd-new-docs.html#dkim
so that you don't need to copy-paste ;-p

run: spamassassin --lint

if you get an error, then either you or I did something wrong ;-p

you may increase the score of L_NOTVALID_GMAIL (and the like) if you
want, but 2.8 should be enough.

Re: about fake mails

Posted by Yavuz Maslak <ma...@ihlas.net.tr>.

Re: about fake mails