Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Sam Hendley <sa...@plymouthsystems.com> on 2010/03/18 20:44:01 UTC

Ruby client gem hosting and patches?

Hello all,

Is there any reason why the ruby client gem can't be uploaded to the
canonical rubygems repository? I am working with a number of projects
and machines that use the qpid gem and because the gem isn't hosted 'in
the wild' anywhere I have to build it and copy around the gem manually.
It would also lower the barrier to entry if developers could just run
"gem install qpid" and start testing rather than trying to pull down and
build the gem.

I have made a fork on github of the qpid project and committed a number
of revisions that would make it much easier to distribute as a gem. I
added "jeweler" support that should make building publishing gem to
gemcutter very easy. My only real concern is getting it "owned" by the
right person/people. Apache seems to have one large account for all of
the mirrored repos on github, should that same model be followed in this
case? "Apache Buildr" is a gem that is also an apache project, maybe the
same account should be used to upload the qpid gem.

Thoughts?

Sam Hendley

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Ruby client gem hosting and patches?

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Not an expert, but I don't see why not. It would seem to make sense to
get the
patches onto JIRA and into the Qpid source tree and then ask around the ASF
on how to directly upload the gem.

If another apache projects do it, it should just be a matter of figuring
it out/ asking them

Carl.