Posted to users@archiva.apache.org by "Brown, Carlton" <Ca...@compucredit.com> on 2008/02/28 22:31:24 UTC

Archiva selectively failing to proxy one particular artifact

I have a strange problem where an Archiva instance absolutely refuses to
retrieve one particular artifact from central under any circumstances...
it is /org/apache/maven/maven/2.0.6/maven-2.0.6.pom .   I've verified
that the instance can retrieve other artifacts, in fact maven-2.0.5.pom
retrieves just fine, as well as other randomly selected jars and pom
files.   It's only maven-2.0.6.pom that it fails on.  I also verified
that the file is in fact on maven central.

When I say I'm testing it, I mean that I'm pointing a browser to the
archiva URL designating an artifact that is not yet proxied, for example
http://myarchivahost/archiva/repository/myrepo/org/apache/maven/2.0.6/ma
ven-2.0.6.pom which returns a 404 error message.

Also, I don't know if this is related or not, but the 404 message
displays a munged, invalid URL:
The following resource does not exist:
http://myarchivahost/repository/org/apache/maven/2.0.6/maven-2.0.6.pom
<http://myarchivahost/repository/org/apache/maven/2.0.6/maven-2.0.6.pom>

Notice that the the context string "archiva" doesn't appear in the
displayed URL, and neither does the repository name "myrepo".   But
since this behavior is reproducible with other well-formed URL's for
nonexistent artifacts, this may not be related to my problem at all.

Thanks in advance...

RE : Archiva selectively failing to proxy one particular artifact

Posted by MATHUS Baptiste <ma...@mipih.fr>.
Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
On 01/03/2008, Brown, Carlton <Ca...@compucredit.com> wrote:
> OK thanks, I figured out what's going on.  The checksum was failing for
>  http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/maven/2.0.6/maven-2.0.6.p
>  om
>
>  Testing confirms that it seems the checksums in the central repo are
>  wrong.  I manually ran md5 and sha1 sums on that file, and they do not
>  match the sums stored in central.  By comparison, the pom for 2.0.7 does
>  not have this problem.
>
>  Having confirmed this, if I could beg your indulgence for a couple of
>  followup questions:
>
>  1)  You said you didn't have this problem... I presume you have
>  checksumming set to 'ignore' or 'fix' in Archiva?

right

>  2)  Is a 404 really the only error we get on this problem?  This is the
>  same thing you'd get for a completely nonexistent artifact, it's kind of
>  misleading.

we're looking to fix that for 1.0.2:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRM-159

>  3)  (Rhetorical question) WTF is up with Maven central having bad
>  checksums for Maven's own artifacts, and how can I be the first one to
>  notice this?  Did I make some mistake, or is everyone except me ignoring
>  checksums?

Yeah, I remember 2.0.6 coming up - I'm not sure why it was never fixed.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
Blog: http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

RE: Archiva selectively failing to proxy one particular artifact

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.