Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> on 2007/12/08 15:35:37 UTC

Thoughts on EJB3 tools OpenEJB integrate with

Hi,

I had a EJB3 presentation on a Poznan University yesterday. I had done
it with Glassfish as it's nicely integrated with NetBeans IDE 6 which
provides features for Java EE development beyond those I could find in
Eclipse (I'm not talking about RAD7.5 though that's around the
corner). I'm alone missing tools for openejb I could use for ejb3
development. The Geronimo plugin for NetBeans I'm working on takes
ages to be finished even for a basic use cases.

I wonder what people use for their EJB3 developments. I keep thinking
about a m2 plugin for developing ejb3 and running unit tests without
much trouble. I can't say what exactly I have in my mind as it's just
an idea I had for a long time. I miss a tool, but can't say exactly
what it should be. I like the way the jetty-maven-plugin works where I
could run a webapp on jetty with just mvn jetty:run or similar. I wish
I could have something similar for openejb3, but can't figure out how
it should work. Should openejb (or the plugin itself) provide a http
connector that would allow people execute tests? NetBeans/Glassfish
have a nice interface for web services testing when ejb3 annotated
with @WebService can be deployed to Glassfish and a special URL points
to the Tester web application that allows to execute @WebMethod's.

Can anyone point me into a right direction? What pieces I miss to
finish the puzzle? I seem puzzled.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: Thoughts on EJB3 tools OpenEJB integrate with

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Did you notice that when the space overview mode (ie. F8) that the display is realtime, shows video playing on a space.... :-)

--jason

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexander Saint Croix <sa...@gmail.com>.
You're very welcome.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Oh yeah...forgot to add...

For Video compression I have had great luck with Sorenson Squeeze.  Also
Handbrake does a pretty nice job of compressing things down as well.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexander Saint Croix <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
Wow that is sweet!

Posted by Alexander Saint Croix <sa...@gmail.com>.
Jacek,

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Alexander Saint Croix <sa...@gmail.com>.
Okay, scratch that last post.  I did some digging among our video research
divisions and came up with iShowU, which is remarkably better for recording,
simple and inexpensive.  The compression program that I purchased alongside
it, Stomp, is not great.  I can't get it to run through an entire
compression cycle without crashing.  Thankfully, I don't need Stomp.  The
University of Minnesota has the Media Mill, which is more or less a big
media compression farm.  I've posted an example of the compressed screencast
here:

https://mediamill.cla.umn.edu/mediamill/embed/6962

That said, the problem I discuss in the video is a real one.  You should all
be able to see it and judge the quality.  This is compressed Flash video
stream, but I should be able to do any conceivable format, including iPod
video, without any difficulties.  So, if you guys had a decent upload
location, I could easily queue and compress any video documentation you
wanted in just about any format you want.  If you've got some compression
software you'd rather use, that'd also be great.

Cheers,
--
Alexander Saint Croix

Posted by Alexander Saint Croix <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
My plan it to make a video of it with help from my fried Alex.  It
was a very short talk and I only had 6 slides including a Title and
End Note slide.  Any way, here are the 4 real slides as text:

Vision
   Bring JEE services to Tomcat instead of burying Tomcat in a JEE
server

Goals
   Leverage existing knowledge
   Tomcat users shouldn’t have to learn anything new
   Add to Tomcat; don’t break stuff
   All existing tools, scripts, add-ons should just work
   Must take no effort to test-drive

How Does It Work?
   Add JEE libraries to Tomcat class loader
   Add OpenEJB listener to Tomcat
   Process web apps for JEE services
     Load Web Services and EJBs
     Update JNDI tree

Reuse
   Use the Tomcat deployment system
   Use the Tomcat security system
   Use the Tomcat class loader
   Use the Tomcat JNDI implementation
   Use the Tomcat shell scripts
   Use the Tomcat directory structure

-dain

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
If you are using Tomcat+OpenEJB, you can use the Tomcat plugin built
into every IDE to develop JEE application!

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Dec 8, 2007, at 6:35 AM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had a EJB3 presentation on a Poznan University yesterday. I had done
> it with Glassfish as it's nicely integrated with NetBeans IDE 6 which
> provides features for Java EE development beyond those I could find in
> Eclipse (I'm not talking about RAD7.5 though that's around the
> corner). I'm alone missing tools for openejb I could use for ejb3
> development. The Geronimo plugin for NetBeans I'm working on takes
> ages to be finished even for a basic use cases.
>
> I wonder what people use for their EJB3 developments. I keep thinking
> about a m2 plugin for developing ejb3 and running unit tests without
> much trouble. I can't say what exactly I have in my mind as it's just
> an idea I had for a long time. I miss a tool, but can't say exactly
> what it should be. I like the way the jetty-maven-plugin works where I
> could run a webapp on jetty with just mvn jetty:run or similar. I wish
> I could have something similar for openejb3, but can't figure out how
> it should work. Should openejb (or the plugin itself) provide a http
> connector that would allow people execute tests? NetBeans/Glassfish
> have a nice interface for web services testing when ejb3 annotated
> with @WebService can be deployed to Glassfish and a special URL points
> to the Tester web application that allows to execute @WebMethod's.
>
> Can anyone point me into a right direction? What pieces I miss to
> finish the puzzle? I seem puzzled.

:)

[...]

You can develop an EJB3 application the exact same way you would
develop a normal application, without any tools at all.  Write a
couple lines in your IDE, run your unit test.  Rinse and repeat.  No
need to click start/stop buttons, deploy/undeploy buttons or
anything.  Just write code, run test, write code, run test, etc. etc..

Regarding testing WebServices, the same approach can be used.  You can
boot the http server and webservices support in your test case as
well.  Though that sounds "heavy" it's not.  Here's an example of that:
  http://openejb.apache.org/embedded-and-remotable.html

We do so much out of the box and hassle-free that other guys need
tools to do.  The fact that they need tools isn't something to brag
about but something to be embarrassed about.  EJB3 was designed to be
a tool-free API and with OpenEJB3 it truly is.

We even support other vendors' deployment descriptors, like Glassfish,
so the pleasure of truly simple EJB3 development isn't restricted to
people who use OpenEJB in production.

-David