Posted to general@james.apache.org by Tech Shourie <te...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/22 18:15:12 UTC

James 3 beta4 questions

All,

Here are few questions that I did not get answer to on Wiki

1) When will be James 3 released. Not as beta version.
It was released in April 2012. is their active development on James 3.0

2) Is there any mechanism in James to establish an encrypted, compressed
“tunnel” for TCP/IP or UDP data transfer between two systems

3) is there any comparison sheet between James 2.0 and James3 for
performane robustness and feature. I need to present upwards to migrate
from james 2.0 to 3.0

Thanks
Shourie

Re: James 3 beta4 questions

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shourie,

First of all please direct your future questions on the Users mailing
list. You can find it here [2].

I will not answer messages regarding software issues on this mailing list.

This list is general discussions relating to the running of the
project.... Do not send mail to this list with James software problems
-- that's what server-user@james is for.

On 22.12.2015 19:15, Tech Shourie wrote:
> All,
>
> Here are few questions that I did not get answer to on Wiki
>
> 1) When will be James 3 released. Not as beta version.
> It was released in April 2012. is their active development on James 3.0

Short answer: when it's ready. Work has been done over time more or less
active. Currently there are developers working actively on James 3.

You can follow their progress on the dev mailing list [1], [2].
You could also engage the project and contribute to speed up the process.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/server-dev@james.apache.org/
[2] http://james.apache.org/mail.html

> 2) Is there any mechanism in James to establish an encrypted, compressed
> “tunnel” for TCP/IP or UDP data transfer between two systems

Apache James is not designed to do that. It is just an email server. You
might consider a VPN for that use case. Or perhaps configure James to
use SSL. Without knowing your use case is hard to make usefull sugestions.

> 3) is there any comparison sheet between James 2.0 and James3 for
> performane robustness and feature. I need to present upwards to migrate
> from james 2.0 to 3.0

I'm not aware of one.

Re: James 3 beta4 questions

Posted by Apachi Sundari <ap...@gmail.com>.
Are you a real person that can have discussions?

Or a robot programmed to speak human languages?

It's ok I'm both you see.

Re: James 3 beta4 questions

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shourie,

First of all please direct your future questions on the Users mailing
list. You can find it here [2].

I will not answer messages regarding software issues on this mailing list.

This list is general discussions relating to the running of the
project.... Do not send mail to this list with James software problems
-- that's what server-user@james is for.

On 22.12.2015 19:15, Tech Shourie wrote:
> All,
>
> Here are few questions that I did not get answer to on Wiki
>
> 1) When will be James 3 released. Not as beta version.
> It was released in April 2012. is their active development on James 3.0

Short answer: when it's ready. Work has been done over time more or less
active. Currently there are developers working actively on James 3.

You can follow their progress on the dev mailing list [1], [2].
You could also engage the project and contribute to speed up the process.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/server-dev@james.apache.org/
[2] http://james.apache.org/mail.html

> 2) Is there any mechanism in James to establish an encrypted, compressed
> “tunnel” for TCP/IP or UDP data transfer between two systems

Apache James is not designed to do that. It is just an email server. You
might consider a VPN for that use case. Or perhaps configure James to
use SSL. Without knowing your use case is hard to make usefull sugestions.

> 3) is there any comparison sheet between James 2.0 and James3 for
> performane robustness and feature. I need to present upwards to migrate
> from james 2.0 to 3.0

I'm not aware of one.