Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gene LeDuc <gl...@mail.sdsu.edu> on 2008/09/17 18:02:44 UTC

RE: [users@httpd] How do I tell Apache where to find the APR and APR-utils?

Did you specify the path with ./configure?

   --with-apr=PATH         prefix for installed APR or the full path to
apr-config
   --with-apr-util=PATH    prefix for installed APU or the full path to
apu-config

Gene LeDuc, GSEC
Security Analyst
San Diego State University

RE: [users@httpd] How do I tell Apache where to find the APR and APR-utils?

Posted by Jorge Medina <jm...@e-dialog.com>.
I really want to create a re-locatable package.

Using 'objdump -p httpd' it shows that the run path RPATH includes
/usr/lib64

RPATH /home/developer/opt/myapp/apr-util:
      /usr/lib64:
      /home/developer/opt/myapp/apr

Is there any way to avoid /usr/lib64 to be included in RPATH?
Is there any way to configure the linker to not include any run paths in
libraries and executables?
Or, Is there any way to avoid the RPATH to have precedence over
LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

Thanks.

-Jorge

Posted by Gene LeDuc <gl...@mail.sdsu.edu>.
Can you create your production layout on your build machine and do it that
way?  We do something like this by having a standard layout on our
production servers so we can build the binaries on our build machine and
then transfer them over to the production boxes.  We use stow to make
everything as modular as possible.

At 09:27 AM 9/17/2008, Jorge Medina wrote:

>Yes, but the original path to the APR and APR-util is not the same as in
>the deployment machine.
>
>I specify the paths
>--with-apr=/home/developer/opt/myapp/apr
>--with-apr-util=/home/developer/opt/myapp/apr-util
>
>But when my app gets "deployed" (just the binaries), the paths may
>change to something like:
>
>/opt/myapp/apr
>/opt/myapp/apr-util
>

>I thought I could use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to tell the httpd process where to
>find the APR, but this has not been successful.
>
>LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/myapp/apr:/opt/myapp/apr-util
>export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
>When executing
>    /opt/myapp/apache/bin/httpd -V
>The versions of APR and APR-util loaded by httpd do not correspond to
>the versions I compiled against and specified in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
>I get:
>
>Server loaded:  APR 1.2.7, APR-Util 1.2.7
>Compiled using: APR 1.3.3, APR-Util 1.3.4
>

>They do not correspond even in the original build machine, where the
>paths remain the same. The APR-util is correct, but not the version of
>the APR.
>
>LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/developer/opt/myapp/apr:/home/developer/opt/myapp/
>apr-util
>export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>/home/developer/opt/myapp/apache/bin/httpd -V
>
>I get:
>
>Server loaded:  APR 1.2.7, APR-Util 1.3.4
>Compiled using: APR 1.3.3, APR-Util 1.3.4

Gene LeDuc, GSEC
Security Analyst
San Diego State University

RE: [users@httpd] How do I tell Apache where to find the APR and APR-utils?

Did you specify the path with ./configure?

   --with-apr=PATH         prefix for installed APR or the full path to
apr-config
   --with-apr-util=PATH    prefix for installed APU or the full path to
apu-config

At 08:09 AM 9/17/2008, Jorge Medina wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm still trying to find a solution.
>Is there any way to link the APR statically?
>Thanks
>
>-Jorge

Gene LeDuc, GSEC
Security Analyst