Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Xiao Li <ga...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/30 14:54:58 UTC

Updates on migration guides

Hi, Devs,

Many questions from the open source community are actually caused by the
behavior changes we made in each release. So far, the migration guides
(e.g.,
https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/sql-programming-guide.html#migration-guide)
were not being properly updated. In the last few releases, multiple
behavior changes are not documented in migration guides and even release
notes. I propose to do the document updates in the same PRs that introduce
the behavior changes. If the contributors can't make it, the committers who
merge the PRs need to do it instead. We also can create a dedicated page
for migration guides of all the components. Hopefully, this can assist the
migration efforts.

Thanks,

Xiao Li

Re: Updates on migration guides

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.
+1

think we do migration guide changes for ML and R in separate JIRA/PR/commit but we definition should have it updated before the release.

Posted by li...@gmail.com.

Posted by Nick Pentreath <ni...@gmail.com>.
MLlib has tried quite hard to ensure the migration guide is up to date for
each release. I think generally we catch all breaking and most major
behavior changes

Posted by Nick Pentreath <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com>.
+1