Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by homesupp <ho...@netspace.net.au> on 2003/11/18 08:51:11 UTC

[users@httpd] newbie request for help

this is my attempt to post a msg to the apache msg 'board' (if thats a near
correct term)
i am new to linux (red hat), my support skills/experience are MSloth based
(looking to fix that prob)

i've got red hat 9.0 installed and trying to get the apache webserver up and
running.
i've spent 25+hours and still have little more than a vague idea of how its
...'meant to work'....
can anyone shed some light, a few links to some tutes?
i fear that my brain is so microsoft'ized that i cant gel all that i am
reading to something that makes sense.
i'll keep plugging away but would appreciate any pointers..
cheers
KW

Re: [users@httpd] newbie request for help

Posted by homesupp <ho...@netspace.net.au>.
thnx, didnt want to write an essay first time round, as not sure how this
msg board (forum,is that the right term?) works, etiquette and all
considered.
my h/w knowledge is pretty good,(background in electronics) but the past ten
years spent support ms based systems.

5 years at HP supporting high network pritners n plotters (that finished now
the supports moved to india)
====
P.S. i have heaps of knowledge here on the repair side so anyone who needs
files, advice in a repair or manuals give me a hoy only to happy to help.
you'd be surprised the amount of money gets wasted by people getting HP to
do unecessary servicing.
====

i am trying to turn my hand to linux, would like to move to a support field
of building linux or unix based systems
ideally in building or maintaining web/sql based solutions, even create my
own that sort of thing.

my prob mainly is what i'd call the geography of the O/S, i just dont know
my way around. i'd love to get my hands on
a tutorial that steps you thru like a do this then do that etc .
once i get the feel for where things are and what are the relevant files
i'll accelerate quickly enuf.
its just that everything feels pretty alien, dont know which files to look
at and where etc.
it is slowly starting to gel tho,
i understand that everything in linux is pretty much a text config file and
they're either loaded on startup or not.
some things threw me at first. like all the manuals and stuff i've managed
to read on apache indicated that the default port
setup should work okay but once i set the listen 80 i could then browse from
my win2k box but only to a direct IP.

here's where i'am at now.
want to setup the dns, my domain name (its not real world, just internal
domain name etc)
i have a local lan at home
P4 cel  (win2k)
P2 300 (win 98)
P2 333 (win 98)
P2 333 cel (red hat 9.0) APache 2.0 that came on the ISO's I downloaded
5port 10/100 baseT hub
my Q.
is there more than 1 file i need to edit to get the DNS working,
also need to setup up the home directories for the web server and then setup
an FTP server and access so i can edit web code on my win pc and upload it.

just quick pointers will do about where to look and what to read/do would be
great, i still need to spent the time reading
or it wont stick and i wont learn :-)
eg,
1) edit the httpd.conf file. make sure the blah blah is set to port blah
blah etc.  refer   doc 'xyz'    for more info
2) the files that affect and control DNS are  filename1, filename2,
filenameN  refer doc....'xyz' on how to set up

 thnx again peoples,
will check out some of those books on the links given.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.