Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Cory Zue <cz...@dimagi.com> on 2011/06/19 18:52:08 UTC

parallel instances on windows

Hey foks,

I'd like to migrate my application from 1.0.2 to 1.1, but
unfortunately I'm using a windows dev environment.

Is there any way to run parallel installations of couch on different
ports on windows?

thanks,
Cory

Re: parallel instances on windows

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 20 June 2011 04:52, Cory Zue <cz...@dimagi.com> wrote:
> Hey foks,
>
> I'd like to migrate my application from 1.0.2 to 1.1, but
> unfortunately I'm using a windows dev environment.
>
> Is there any way to run parallel installations of couch on different
> ports on windows?
>
> thanks,
> Cory

You can only have one running as a service, but yup its easy.

There are 3 ways;

#1 by replication
Install 1.1 to c:\some_other_folder_of_your_choice.
don't add it as a service when prompted.
open up local.ini in some editor & change the port & IP to whatever you need.
open a command prompt & cd to c:\some_other_folder_of_your_choice.
set erl=erl
bin\couchdb.bat

Run futon or use curl to set up your replication per DB.
when complete, trigger each view.

stop 1.0.2 couch, change local.ini back to 5984 etc & anything else
your app needs.
if a service is required use erlsv.exe to set it up [1].

#2 by restore
Do all of the above installation points.
Instead of replicating just restore your 1.0.2 .couch files
when complete, trigger compaction for each DB.
when complete, trigger each view to be rebuilt.

#3 by in-place upgrade.
do backup
uninstall 1.0.2
confirm you've only got var/lib/couch var/log/couch etc/couch remaining.
install 1.1.0
when complete, trigger compaction for each DB.
when complete, trigger each view to be rebuilt.

[1]: http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Quirks_on_Windows

Dave