Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Trevor Peirce <sp...@hostyersite.com> on 2002/01/13 11:11:03 UTC

general/9465: Multiple instances when SSL enabled impossible

>Number:         9465
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Multiple instances when SSL enabled impossible
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
Server: Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 PHP/4.1.1 mod_ssl/2.8.5 OpenSSL/0.9.6

Linux x-private-host 2.4.9-12 #1 Tue Oct 30 18:33:49 EST 2001 i686 unknown
When attempting to start multiple instances of Apache using -DSSL, the 2nd instance of apache being started is "tacked on" to the first instance.  I'm not quite sure what's going on, but the command 'ps ax' only shows the first isntance running, although all the virtual hosts from the 2nd instance work - using a different set of IPs.

The pidfiles are different in the two configurations, however only the first instance writes its pid file.
>How-To-Repeat:
Create two configuration files for apache, using different BindIPs.
Ensure the two configurations use different PID files.
Start the first instance; ie:

bin/httpd -f conf/serv1.conf -DSSL
ps ax | grep httpd

- connect to the first host; it works.  connect to the second host; it does not work.  the pid file from this server will be written.

bin/httpd -f conf/serv2.conf -DSSL
ps ax | grep httpd

- notice that you only see the first instance shown?  you can access the hosts of the second configuration, however.  no pid is written.

When not using SSL, both configurations will work together and run seperately how they should.  Using the same configuration files and SSL enabeld, seperate instances work fine under 1.3.20.

 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]