Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Alan Myrvold <am...@google.com> on 2018/03/14 18:47:54 UTC

New beam contributor experience?

There is a contribution guide at
https://beam.apache.org/contribute/contribution-guide/
Has anyone had challenges / pain points when getting started with new
contributions?
Any suggestions for making this better?

Alan

Re: New beam contributor experience?

Posted by Andrew Pilloud <ap...@google.com>.
To add more to what Anton said, the 'mvn clean verify' step takes hours and
fails frequently due to bad tests. I spent the first few days working with
beam trying to figure out what was wrong with my system when I was just
hitting test flaps. If we're going to gradle that would be a great place to
update. If not, adding directions on how to skip the tests in maven and
just run the build would be good too.

Andrew

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Good point. As mentioned, maybe the contribution guide is not enough, we
also have the "low hanging fruit" tagged Jira that new contributors can
take a look.

Maybe for both users and new contributors, it would be great to have
additional concrete examples. Today, the game examples is great but
mostly Java SDK focused and very "streaming" oriented.

We have additional samples (both batch and streaming) today with the
Java SDK (https://github.com/jbonofre/beam-samples). If you think it
could help, please let me know, I would be more then happy to cleanup
and polish to prepare a PR.
We are also planning to add Python example there.

Regards
JB

Posted by Gaurav Thakur <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pablo Estrada <pa...@google.com>.