Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Chris Cooper <cc...@rhinodigital.com> on 2005/10/08 06:40:42 UTC

Razor 2 license

Is it possible to use Razor 2 for a business email server or is it
limited to personal use only? Has anyone been able to obtain a
license to do this or have you discontinued using Razor 2 with
SpamAssassin? I couldn't find information on the couldmark web site
and I haven't received a response to my request for more information.

Cloudmark SpamNet Service Policy

V1.0
Aug 1, 2003

SpamNet Service and Razor-Agents

While Razor-Agents are distributed under the Artistic License and will
stay that way, the Cloudmark SpamNet service, a particular
implementation
of a Razor-compliant back-end, is a commercial operation with
maintenance
and support costs, and is no longer available for unlimited free use,
effective immediately.

Use of the SpamNet service by Razor-agent-enabled software will remain
free for personal use, subject to capacity constraints that Cloudmark
may
enforce against intensive users of the service as it sees fit.

Distribution or use of the system in commercial embedded software
solutions is not free. All such access must be licensed by Cloudmark.
Organizations interested in working with Razor or with Cloudmark's
next-generation SpamNet client technologies should contact Cloudmark at
partners@cloudmark.com

Re: Razor 2 license

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 09:40:42PM -0700, Chris Cooper wrote:
> Is it possible to use Razor 2 for a business email server or is it
> limited to personal use only? Has anyone been able to obtain a
> license to do this or have you discontinued using Razor 2 with
> SpamAssassin? I couldn't find information on the couldmark web site
> and I haven't received a response to my request for more information.

It's really not our place to comment on the license for unrelated
software.  That said, we get this type of question a lot on this list.
Vipul recently posted a clarification of the issue to the razor-users list
and asked me to forward it onto this list (which I believe the previous
thread respondant did).  To try making this easier in the future, I've
written up a generic answer on the appropriate section of the SA wiki:

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/UsingRazor

Hope this helps. :)

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"Besides, I wasn't envisioning building the full scale, "hurl flaming tar

Re: Razor 2 license

Posted by "Ryan L. Sun" <li...@gmail.com>.
Just post on Razor mailing list:
Folks,

In the last few weeks I have received tons of mail from people asking me
if they are covered by Razor service policy. Here's some clarification.
The spirit of the service policy is to restrict usage from those
companies that are charging their customers in some way for use of razor
agents. Specifically, the service policy is designed to exclude public
usage of the Cloudmark backend (that Razor Agents query) by third-party
commerical anti-spam systems. If you are a company that primarily sells
anti-spam products and services to your users, you need to get
permission to connect to the Cloudmark backend.

If you are an ISP, a university, or any other type of organization using
the Razor Agents to filter e-mail -- without charging for the service --
then you are welcome to continue using Razor. Please note that the
Service Policy has not changed in two years, and this type of usage has
always been free.

Cloudmark plans to release a commerical version of razor agents with
support for a local cache and improved accuracy (more fingerprinting
schemes) in near future. This release will be targeted at high volume
users of Razor. When a beta is available, I'll announce it on the Razor
users list.

Cheers,
vipul