Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/20 15:59:46 UTC

Ability to have hidden services on Axis2

Devs,

WSO2 Carbon [http://wso2.org/projects/carbon] which depends on and uses
axis2 has a requirement to have hidden admin services, bu the
DeploymentEngine prints an INFO log message for all the service deployments,
in order to achieve the above requirement, how about filtering this log
statement by looking at a service group parameter named hiddenService.

If there is no objection I will get this implemented.

Thanks,
Ruwan

--
Ruwan Linton
Technical Lead & Product Manager; WSO2 ESB; http://wso2.org/esb

Re: Ability to have hidden services on Axis2

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Also, Synapse has the same requirement where it adds a service named
> __SynapseService, but doesn't need to show that out to the users.

I think there are two types of users.
1. who uses the synapse server
2. who Admin the synapse server

I think you mean latter type of users. For them it is ok to show this info
message.

thanks,
Amila.

> I think others will also be beneficial with this feature.
>
> Thanks,
> Ruwan
>

> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Devs,
>>
>> WSO2 Carbon [http://wso2.org/projects/carbon] which depends on and uses
>> axis2 has a requirement to have hidden admin services, bu the
>> DeploymentEngine prints an INFO log message for all the service deployments,
>> in order to achieve the above requirement, how about filtering this log
>> statement by looking at a service group parameter named hiddenService.
>>
>> If there is no objection I will get this implemented.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ruwan
>>
>> --
>> Ruwan Linton
>> Technical Lead & Product Manager; WSO2 ESB; http://wso2.org/esb
>> WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.org
>> email: ruwan@wso2.com; cell: +94 77 341 3097
>> blog: http://ruwansblog.blogspot.com
>>

> --
> Ruwan Linton
> Technical Lead & Product Manager; WSO2 ESB; http://wso2.org/esb
> WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.org
> email: ruwan@wso2.com; cell: +94 77 341 3097
> blog: http://ruwansblog.blogspot.com

--
Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: Ability to have hidden services on Axis2

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Ruwan Linton wrote:
> > No those are normal services,
> You are contradicting yourself.

Nope, I am not. Administrator services can exists as aar services, jar
service and osgi bundle based services.

> acting as admin services, to provide the server administration
> > framework. This cannot be solve with a deployer.
> of course you can, sometimes administrator services needs additional
> paramters than normal service, for example if you do not want to display
> them under list services, then you can customize them using the custom
> deployer.

AFAIK, in-order to do this, we need to at least put these services into a
different directory or has to have a different extension, please see my
above comment. They are normal aar, jar services which provides some server
administration operations.

> > Also I don't see this as a hack.
> Either way I have no problem, but I see long term advantage of having
> separate deployer for admin service, I bet you that you will soon have
> some other additional requirements.

Hhhmm, for now it is just this... and I don't see any near future
requirements, so I would add this param check before the INFO log, which
will have no harm at all.

Thanks,
Ruwan

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
No those are normal services, acting as admin services, to provide the
server administration framework. This cannot be solve with a deployer. Also
I don't see this as a hack.

Thanks,
Ruwan

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Correct.  Everyone who was on axis-dev@ws is now on java-dev@axis.  We'll be
dropping the old lists soon, after all the other lists (rampart-dev, etc) are
fully merged in.

--Glen

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Glen,

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 7:50 PM, Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> wrote:

> Hi Ruwan, all,
>
> I'm afraid I don't get this change.  Amila makes a good point I think; I
> can
> totally understand why you wouldn't want certain services showing up on the
> UI (although even then you would want admins to see them), but the INFO
> message is on the actual console of the server, which only admins should
> have
> access to anyway.

These services are used by the admins, but via a user interface. We have a
concept called controlled operations in axis2 right?? To me this is
something like that. If I get a service hosting environment, and I see
various services getting deployed on the console, except for my service,
doesn't it confuses the user?

> What do you gain from this change, aside from making it
> harder to tell if your services are coming up correctly or not? :)

Well, this is just for the INFO message, if the service deployment fails
then the user will see the errors.

BTW: I have already committed this change ;-), if the community thinks this
is not a valid requirement, I am happy to revert the commit :-)

Thanks,
Ruwan

Posted by Jonathan Roberts <jr...@rjlg.com>.

Sent from my iPhone

unsubscribe

Posted by "Capilla Castillo, Esther" <ec...@indra.es>.
Unsubscribe.

Thanks!

unsubscribe

Posted by "Ramaswamy, Pudur" <pu...@paypal.com>.

Thanks,
-Pudur

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@wso2.com>.
Hi Deepal,

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 8:16 PM, Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > Regarding the INFO message that gets logged per service, at
> > deployment. The better side of this is that you get a confirmation to
> > whether your service got deployed. But, the bad side of it is that, if
> > there are 1000+ services hosted (for example), we'll be printing 1000s
> > of such messages.
> Practically speaking it is not good idea to put 1000+ services in one
> Web service server and  it is extremely hard to manage. That is why we
> have something called service compositions and ESBs.

I just took a nasty example.. :-)...

--
Senaka Fernando
Software Engineer

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Regarding the INFO message that gets logged per service, at deployment. The
better side of this is that you get a confirmation to whether your service
got deployed. But, the bad side of it is that, if there are 1000+ services
hosted (for example), we'll be printing 1000s of such messages. Also, once a
person is certain that a particular service is deployed successfully, a
confirmation would not be required per each server reboot, unless he did
some change. So, it would be great if this could be made something optional

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Ruwan, all,

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.