Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Prabhjot Bharaj <pr...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/05 15:45:39 UTC

Optimization - dedicated transaction log directory

Hi,

I was going through the 'Other Optimizations' section in this link:
https://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.4.6/zookeeperStarted.html#Other+Optimizations
I would like to understand the relevance of 'dataLogDir'

How does having a different value of dataLogDir improve the performance ??

Regards,
Prabhjot

Re: Optimization - dedicated transaction log directory

Posted by Prabhjot Bharaj <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

Regards,
Prabhjot

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 9:52 PM, Edward Ribeiro <ed...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> By avoiding to put the *transaction log dir* on a busy device, competing
> for disk I/O with the snapshot data and other systems (e.g, HDFS or HBase).
> The transaction log is critical to ZK performance because ZK syncs the
> transactions on disk before returning a response, according to
> http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.1.2/zookeeperAdmin.html. So, a fast
> disk
> is recommended, even if not that large. This principle of putting
> commit/transaction logs on dedicated devices is highly recommended by other
> big data systems like Cassandra, for example.
>
> Regards,
> Ed
>

> On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 10:45 AM, Prabhjot Bharaj <pr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > I was going through the 'Other Optimizations' section in this link:
> >

> https://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.4.6/zookeeperStarted.html#Other+Optimizations
> > I would like to understand the relevance of 'dataLogDir'
> >

> > How does having a different value of dataLogDir improve the performance
> ??
> >
> > Regards,
> > Prabhjot

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand
binary, and those who don't"

Re: Optimization - dedicated transaction log directory

Posted by Edward Ribeiro <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi,