Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2008/03/04 00:32:56 UTC

Re: Confused about the branches

On 29/02/2008, at 10:04 AM, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:55 PM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>

>> On 29/02/2008, at 9:52 AM, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:
>>
>>> why 1.1.x?
>>
>> in case there was a bugfix release on 1.1? I thought that was what
>> the
>> branch was for... maintenance of 1.1.
>>
>> or is there going to be 2 completely different strands of
>> development?
>

> I thought to do 1.x in the branch instead of only maintenance in
> 1.1.xbecause I don't know how many time we'll need  for the  first
> 2.0 release. User will probably need some new small feature before the
> 2.0release and not only maintenance.

With the roadmap discussion recently, I thought it was going to be an
incremental move towards 2.0 on trunk - 1.2 will have some parts and
refactorings, 1.3, 1.4 and so on. I'm not sure why there would need to
be two streams of development? I think there's a real danger of
getting lost in the 2.0 trap (c.f. Maven 1.0, Maven 2.0 and Maven 2.1 :)

I'm actually keen to do a couple of small things myself and get a
release out:
- a few small bug fixes, like the lost change sets for some builds
- better error handling
- switch to a Jetty runtime without the plexus appserver so we can use
jetty 6
- add a call to svn info --xml to check whether to do an svn update to
speed up working copy updates

Just stuff I see from running vmbuild and the maven zone.

I think that and a couple of other refactorings that are being
discussed on here would make a good 1.2 in the next couple of months.
WDYT?

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: Confused about the branches

Posted by Rahul Thakur <ra...@gmail.com>.

Olivier Lamy wrote:
> 2008/3/12, Wendy Smoak<ws...@gmail.com>:
>> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 5:01 PM, Olivier Lamy<ol...@apache.org>  wrote:
>>
>>   >   >  ...and delete the continuum-1.x branch?
>>   >   >
>>   >
>>   >   Done.
>>   >
>>   >   What about the others  ? :
>>   >   - continuum-1.0.x/
>>   >   - continuum-site_1.1/
>>

>> I'm sure the site branch can go, if everything has been merged.
> Done.
>>   I'm undecided on the 1.0.x branch... are there any changes from the
>>   last 1.0 release tag?
>
> IMHO we can remove that too.
>
> Do we have to do some cleanup in the sandbox ?

If we do decide to cleanup sandbox, please leave
'continuum-eclipse-plugin' module, I intend to get back to it.

Cheers,
Rahul

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2008/3/4, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>:

>  On 04/03/2008, at 10:47 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:
>
>  > Agree on this.
>  > Currently there is a blocking issue with xml-rpc CONTINUUM-1590 which
>  > prevent using xml-rpc :-(.
>

> Cool - shall we just start using the 1.2 bucket in JIRA? There are
>  only 14 issues there now so maybe we could keep that to 20-30 issues
>  all together and release it.

+1

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Agree on this.

Posted by Rahul Thakur <ra...@gmail.com>.
Brett Porter wrote:

> On 29/02/2008, at 10:04 AM, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:

>>> in case there was a bugfix release on 1.1? I thought that was what the
>>> branch was for... maintenance of 1.1.
>>>
>>> or is there going to be 2 completely different strands of development?
>>

>> I thought to do 1.x in the branch instead of only maintenance in
>> 1.1.xbecause I don't know how many time we'll need for the first
>> 2.0 release. User will probably need some new small feature before the
>> 2.0release and not only maintenance.
>
> With the roadmap discussion recently, I thought it was going to be an
> incremental move towards 2.0 on trunk - 1.2 will have some parts and
> refactorings, 1.3, 1.4 and so on. I'm not sure why there would need to
> be two streams of development? I think there's a real danger of getting
> lost in the 2.0 trap (c.f. Maven 1.0, Maven 2.0 and Maven 2.1 :)

We haven't pegged any version numbers to the tasks extracted from the
roadmap discussion. I think we should consider what architecture rework
we intend to do (and impact), and if it merits keeping 2 streams (or not).

> I'm actually keen to do a couple of small things myself and get a
> release out:
> - a few small bug fixes, like the lost change sets for some builds
> - better error handling
> - switch to a Jetty runtime without the plexus appserver so we can use
> jetty 6
> - add a call to svn info --xml to check whether to do an svn update to
> speed up working copy updates

I agree on getting something out frequently. Having said that if there
is a consensus on 2 streams then I think we need to keep the momentum up
on both to get releases/milestones out there.