Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Philip Arad <ph...@hotmail.com> on 2003/04/03 09:50:58 UTC

Re: Gamma correction in IE5.5

Refference to the mail:
http://koala.ilog.fr/batik/mlists/batik-users/archives/msg01062.html
http://koala.ilog.fr/batik/mlists/batik-users/archives/msg01063.html

We have updated batik to  batik1.5 and I used:

   PNGTranscoder vTranscoder = new PNGTranscoder();
   vTranscoder.addTranscodingHint(PNGTranscoder.KEY_GAMMA ,new Float(1.0F/1.942F));

for the gamma correction, but it does not work.It seems that the value is ignore, since with other
values inserted, it gives me the same color.

With regards

Philip

Re: Gamma correction in IE5.5

Posted by Philip Arad <ph...@hotmail.com>.
Dear Chris

Thanks for your reply.
There are no standard definition of the value of 1.942, it is used after
making
a serie of experiments to find the best correction, that will give best
results.

For example:
We need to create a png that has the color:

iTabColor = "#708090";

We pass this attribute to the method that creates a SVG document:

public Document iSVGDocument;

 public void createSVGDocument() throws Exception
 {
  iSVGDocument = createBaseDocument(iName);
  Element vRoot = iSVGDocument.getDocumentElement();
  createTabBodyElement(iSVGDocument, vRoot, iTabColor);
<------------------ here
 }

 private void createTabBodyElement(Document aDoc, Element aRoot, String
aColor)
 {
  //TagBody
  Element g;
  g = aDoc.createElementNS(iSvgNS, "g");
  g.setAttributeNS(null, "id", "TagBody");
  String vFillColor = "fill:" + aColor;
  g.setAttributeNS(null, "style", vFillColor); <-------------------------
here
  aRoot.appendChild(g);

Then we use:
vSVGFileURI = new File(aFullSVGFileName).toURL().toString();
TranscoderInput vInput = new TranscoderInput(vSVGFileURI);
PNGTranscoder vTranscoder = new PNGTranscoder();<-------------here we use
this one, as it is, to recieve the wrong color
vTranscoder.transcode(vInput, vOutput);

The color of the image recieved is:#657586 (darker).

For the color: #CCCCCC
I recieve:#C6C6C6

1)I have made a test with #FF0000 (red) and for this color there is no
problem.
2)There is no problem with Netscape/Mozilla.

My conclusion is that the problem is not Batik, but IE.

Thanks
Philip

Re: Gamma correction in IE5.5

Posted by Chris Lilley <ch...@w3.org>.
On Thursday, April 3, 2003, 9:50:58 AM, Philip wrote:

PA> Re: Gamma correction in IE5.5

PA> Refference to the mail:
PA> http://koala.ilog.fr/batik/mlists/batik-users/archives/msg01062.html
PA> http://koala.ilog.fr/batik/mlists/batik-users/archives/msg01063.html

PA> We have updated batik to  batik1.5 and I used:

PA>    PNGTranscoder vTranscoder = new PNGTranscoder();
PA>    vTranscoder.addTranscodingHint(PNGTranscoder.KEY_GAMMA ,new Float(1.0F/1.942F));

PA> for the gamma correction, but it does not work.It seems that the value is ignore, since with other
PA> values inserted, it gives me the same color.

I would like to see the data that suggests that IE is using a value
of 1.942