Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Ryanne Dolan <ry...@gmail.com> on 2021/03/20 17:40:49 UTC

[VOTE] KIP-720 Deprecate MirrorMaker v1

Hey y'all, I'm starting the vote on KIP-720, which proposes to deprecate
the original MirrorMaker in the upcoming 3.0 major release.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-720%3A+Deprecate+MirrorMaker+v1

Thanks!
Ryanne

Re: [VOTE] KIP-720 Deprecate MirrorMaker v1

Posted by Colin McCabe <co...@cmccabe.xyz>.
Thanks, Ryanne. Can you add information about this way forward to the KIP? Also it would be good to clarify that this work needs to get done before removing MM1.

best,
Colin

Posted by Ryanne Dolan <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Ryanne,

Posted by Ryanne Dolan <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Thanks for bringing this up, Ismael.  I agree that we need to figure this out before we accept this KIP.

If MM1 is deprecated, then that means we are telling users they need to migrate away from it as soon as they can.  I think that rules out adding big new features to MM1, unless those features relate towards migrating to MM2.  So we need to figure out if that's really what we want to do, or if we want to keep MM1 around for a while.  This is certainly relevant to the discussion in the KIP-712 thread -- right now, these KIPs contradict each other.

It's also important that MM2 reaches feature parity with MM1 before deprecating MM1.  Or if we can't reach feature parity, we should explain why the unsupported features are not needed going forward.  Do we have a list of all the gaps?

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Thank you Ryanne. It's hopefully obvious, but I meant MirrorMaker 1 in the
following:

Posted by Ryanne Dolan <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
OK. :) Maybe something like:

Posted by Ryanne Dolan <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Ryanne Dolan <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Ryanne Dolan <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Ryanne Dolan <ry...@gmail.com>.
The timing is unfortunate, but should not be a roadblock. Both KIPs are
already worded to leave room for the other. I think this is a non-issue.

Posted by Ning Zhang <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Bentley <tb...@redhat.com>.
Hi Ryanne,

Posted by Ryanne Dolan <ry...@gmail.com>.