Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> on 2015/08/03 01:58:37 UTC

Migration to Git

I don't know anyone that still uses Subversion for source control.

Any objections to moving Shiro to an ASF git repo asap?

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/docs/switching-to-git.html

Cheers,

Les

Re: Migration to Git

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
Go for it. Thanks Brian!

Kalle

Re: Migration to Git

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.
Just to wrap up this thread, over the last week I've updated the poms, CI
jobs, and just recently the site.

Please take look at the site and change anything you see fit. The switch
between svn and git required a few changes, so I grabbed some of the doc
from apache/cloudstack to replace the 'how to svn' text.

The 'how to release' portion of the doc might need a minor update the next
time we do a release.

Re: Migration to Git

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.
Thanks!

Re: Migration to Git

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

------

Re: Migration to Git

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.
Reviving this thread.

Re: Migration to Git

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
This might help:

Re: Migration to Git

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.
Yes, submitting a PR would likely be the preferred process (much easier
then attaching a patch to a jira issue), but merging it will need to be
done manually
I agree it isn't as simple as clicking the merge button, but, there are
manual instructions next to that button.

RE: Migration to Git

Posted by Misagh Moayyed <mm...@unicon.net>.

Re: Migration to Git

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.

RE: Migration to Git

Posted by Misagh Moayyed <mm...@unicon.net>.

Re: Migration to Git

Posted by jleleu <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Migration to Git

Posted by Cristiano Gavião <cv...@gmail.com>.

Re: Migration to Git

Posted by Kevin Sweeney <ke...@apache.org>.
The ASF repos are mirrored to GitHub [1] so you can still use that UI for
at least read operations.

[1] For example, https://github.com/apache/aurora

On Monday, August 3, 2015, Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> wrote:

> Not stupid at all - a lot of people aren't familiar with ASF infrastructure
> practices :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Les
>
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 12:45 AM, Dishant Anand <
> dishant.anand@techblue.co.uk <javascript:;>
> > wrote:
>
> > Right , This suggestion might look stupid in that case :D. I completely
> > overlooked that .Apologies
> >
> > On 03/08/2015 06:11, Les Hazlewood wrote:
> >
> >> We can't actually.  ASF project source code _must_ reside on ASF
> >> infrastructure.  Any other locations that you might see are mirrors of
> the
> >> ASF canonical location(s).
> >>
> >> Maybe you might have been thinking Gitlab over GitHub?  But even then,
> >> GitHub isn't an option either due to the infrastructure requirement.
> >> On Aug 2, 2015 7:02 PM, "Dishant Anand" <dishant.anand@techblue.co.uk
> <javascript:;>>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> You can consider moving to gitlab , which is a better option over git.

> lot

> <javascript:;>>

> https://www.facebook.com/pages/Techblue-Software-Limited/441777369284888

> intended
> >>>

> > --
> >         Dishant Anand
> >
> > Software Engineer
> >
> >         Tel: +91 124 4548383 Ext- 1005
> > UK: +44 845 0047 142 Ext- 5115
> >
> >         TBS Website <http://www.techbluesoftware.co.in>
> >         Techblue Software Pvt. Ltd
> > The Palms, Plot No 73, Sector 5, IMT Manesar,
> > Gurgaon- 122050 (Hr.)
> >
> > www.techbluesoftware.co.in <http://www.techbluesoftware.co.in>
> >

> >         TBS Facebook <
> > https://www.facebook.com/pages/Techblue-Software-Limited/441777369284888
> >
> > TBS Twitter <https://twitter.com/TechbluSoftware> TBS Google+ <
> > https://plus.google.com/+TechblueSoftwareCoIn> TBS Linked In <
> > https://www.linkedin.com/company/techblue-softwares-pvt-ltd>
> >
> > TBS Branding <http://www.techbluesoftware.co.in>
> >

> >            Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail is intended solely for
> >            the use of the individual to whom it is addressed and may
> >            contain information that is privileged, confidential or
> >            otherwise exempt from disclosure. If the reader of this
> >            e-mail is not the intended recipient or the employee or
> >            agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended
> >            recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
> >            distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly
> >            prohibited. If you have received this communication in
> >            error, please immediately notify us by replying to the
> >            original message at the listed email address. Thank You.

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: Migration to Git

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 12:45 AM, Dishant Anand <dishant.anand@techblue.co.uk

Re: Migration to Git

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
yes, that's pretty much the case.

You also can't manually close PRs, but if you do a git merge rather than
rebase of the commits, then the P will be auto-closed once you push the
change.

Re: Migration to Git

Posted by jleleu <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Migration to Git

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
Just to chip in ....

Over on Apache Isis (we integrate with Shiro) we use ASF's git, mirrored to

Re: Migration to Git

Re: Migration to Git

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.
I work on a few projects that are mirrored to github (and have official git
repos somewhere else).  I use the github UI for browsing (when not looking
locally), and just push to the appropriate remote.  Even with the current
svn mirror this is useful.

But the current pull/push workflow of the svn mirror is a pain (in my
opinion)

Re: Migration to Git

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Re: Migration to Git

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Migration to Git

Posted by jleleu <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

A good suggestion actually, too bad it's not possible for ASF projects.

I'm not sure using git brings many advantages other svn, where as using a
UI over git (like Gitlab or Github) really makes the difference.

At least, it's good to be up-to-date.

Best regards,
Jérôme

Re: Migration to Git