Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Scott Ganyo <sc...@etapestry.com> on 2000/06/27 21:33:47 UTC

Building struts

Sorry.  I hate to pollute the list with this drivel, but I'm trying to get
struts to build without success.  I've already gone through the build
process with jakarta-ant, jakarta-servletapi, and jakarta-tomcat, but
jakarta-struts refuses to build.

The output looks like this:

Buildfile: build.xml
Project base dir set to: D:\Dev\Java\jakarta-struts
Executing Target: prepare.library
Executing Target: compile.library
[Javac] Compiling 65 source files to
D:\Dev\Java\build\struts\library\classes
D:\Dev\Java\jakarta-struts\src\share\org\apache\struts\action\Action.java:67
: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class ServletException
location: package servlet
import javax.servlet.ServletException;
                     ^
D:\Dev\Java\jakarta-struts\src\share\org\apache\struts\action\Action.java:68
: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class HttpServletRequest
location: package http
                          ^
(...etc...)

So it appears that it can't find the jakarta-servletapi stuff that is
definitely in the build dir.  (Now, I know I could probably(?) just force it
onto the classpath, but I want it to build correctly without stupid hacks
like that.)

Quick fix?

Thanks,
Scott

Jakarta site is slow??

Posted by Kevin Duffey <kd...@buymedia.com>.
Whats up with the Jakarta site? Its been extremely slow. I can't even get
the latest struts. It keeps timing out. Its been like this for the past
couple of days. Can anyone email me the latest build if they have it (June
27 version). Thanks.

RE: Building struts

Posted by Scott Ganyo <sc...@etapestry.com>.
Well, I assume that the lack of response means that no one knows why I had
the problem.  That being so, now that I've found the problem I'd thought
share the resolution in case others experience the same thing...

In a nutshell, the build (ant) script assumes that that
jakarta-servletapi/lib directory holds the servlet.jar file.  And, this is
only the case is if the servletapi project was built with the "dist" target.
So, there are two possible resolutions:

1) go ahead and build the servletapi project with the dist option.

2) change the ant build script to do as the other jakarta scripts apparently
do (I say "apparently" because the other scripts work, but I'm no ant
expert) and have the compile use the "../build/servletapi/classes" in the
classpath.

I went with option 1. :)

Scott