Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kevin Meinert <ke...@vrsource.org> on 2003/08/03 06:40:01 UTC

win32 svn+ssh fails when DISPLAY is set

I noticed that svn+ssh fails when using rxvt under cygwin.
The reason turned out to be because DISPLAY is set.
if I unsetenv DISPLAY, then it works...

Win32 svn ver 0.26.0
cygwin built rxvt 2.7.10 running cyg's tcsh 6.12.00

starting out rxvt defines DISPLAY=:0
under tcsh, if I unsetenv DISPLAY, then the svn command works.

svn command:
  svn co svn+ssh://www.myserver.com/home/svn/trunk

The only thing I can guess is that this has to do with Xforwarding in my
SSH setup, since I have the X display set....  Anyone know what's going on
here?

This may be a good faq item, It took me a while to track this down since
the output didn't indicate anything to do with DISPLAY or X or even SSH...

  svn: Network connection closed unexpectedly
  svn: Connection closed unexpectedly

kevin

--
*--*---*---*----*-----*------*------*-----*----*---*---*--*
Kevin Meinert                         /_/

Re: compiling svn under cygwin breaks

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@manyfish.co.uk>.
On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 11:16:02PM -0500, Kevin Meinert wrote:

> I'm using latest cygwin on WinXP.
>
> per the instructions, I got the latest src 0.26, and ran:
>
> ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode
>
> It fails and cannot find libxml/parser.h
>
> checking for xml2-config... xml2-config
> checking libxml/xmlversion.h usability... yes
> checking libxml/xmlversion.h presence... yes
> checking for libxml/xmlversion.h... yes
> checking libxml/parser.h usability... no
> checking libxml/parser.h presence... no
> checking for libxml/parser.h... no
> checking parser.h usability... no
> checking parser.h presence... no
> checking for parser.h... no
> configure: error: could not find parser.h, libxml installation problem?
> configure failed for neon
>
> searching my system parser.h is here: /usr/include/libxml2/libxml/parser.h
>
> how do I pass this info to configure?  it seems I'd need to pass it to
> neon's configure, but it looks like sub's configure calls it for me.

What's the output of "xml2-config --version" and "xml2-config --cflags"?

Can you send me the neon/config.log file produced by that failed
configure run? It could be there is some problem including that file on
cygwin which can be fixed.

Regards,

joe

Re: compiling svn under cygwin breaks

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Kevin Meinert wrote:
> I'm using latest cygwin on WinXP.
>
> per the instructions, I got the latest src 0.26, and ran:
>
> ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode
>
> It fails and cannot find libxml/parser.h
>
> checking for xml2-config... xml2-config
> checking libxml/xmlversion.h usability... yes
> checking libxml/xmlversion.h presence... yes
> checking for libxml/xmlversion.h... yes
> checking libxml/parser.h usability... no
> checking libxml/parser.h presence... no
> checking for libxml/parser.h... no
> checking parser.h usability... no
> checking parser.h presence... no
> checking for parser.h... no
> configure: error: could not find parser.h, libxml installation problem?
> configure failed for neon
>
> searching my system parser.h is here: /usr/include/libxml2/libxml/parser.h
>

> how do I pass this info to configure?  it seems I'd need to pass it to
> neon's configure, but it looks like sub's configure calls it for me.

I can't test this right now, since something odd seems to have happened to
my local Cygwin package cache, so I can't install libxml2. But I can say
that subversion compiles fine if you have expat installed and libxml2 not
installed.

Also, IIRC you can pass --enable-* and --with-* to a toplevel configure, and
it will pass them through to configures it recursively invokes.

Max.

compiling svn under cygwin breaks

term input messed up under cygwin with win32 svn

Posted by Kevin Meinert <ke...@vrsource.org>.
using
svn win32 0.26 binary distro (not cygwin compiled)
latest cygwin

I'm getting weird behavior when svn brings up the commit mesg editor.
When svn brings up SVN_EDITOR (set to either cygwin's vim or nano), my
text input doesn't go to the editor, rather it goes to the console window
- yet I can see the editor's text.   pretty crazy weird.   It works fine
if I use notepad though since it doesn't share the same term window.
I've tried this under cmd.exe as well as rxvt -- cmd.exe plain or with
bash or tcsh, rxvt with bash or tcsh.

I think the problem is my cygwin term settings but I don't know what
since it works great with CVS.

Any ideas what could mess up the term like this?  It's almost as if vim or
nano was started backgrounded and while display their interface, text
input doesn't go to them.

I'd like to compile svn for cygwin, but configure had problems finding
libxml/parser.h (which is actually on my system).  I'm hoping the problem
goes away when using cygwin svn... too bad cygwin doesn't have svn
binaries.  anyone have a svn-cygwin-compiling howto?

--
*--*---*---*----*-----*------*------*-----*----*---*---*--*

Re: win32 svn+ssh fails when DISPLAY is set

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.
At 10:57 PM -0500 8/3/03, Kevin Meinert wrote:
>yes, I was just talking about the env variable.  I don't run an xserver on
>win32...
>
>setenv DISPLAY :0    # doesn't work
>unsetenv DISPLAY     # svn co works

This would most likely be your ssh client failing.  SSH can forward X
messages; perhaps your client is trying to do so (but if course, that
doesn't work, since you ahve no server).  Try creating a tunnel in
your Subversion config file that specifies "-x" (little x), which for
most SSH clients means "don't do the X thing."  Something like this:

[tunnels]
sshnox = ssh -x

then do

svn whatever svn+sshnox://host/blah/blah
--
-==-
Jack Repenning

Re: win32 svn+ssh fails when DISPLAY is set

Posted by Kevin Meinert <ke...@vrsource.org>.

--

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.