Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by robersonja <ro...@corp.earthlink.net> on 2005/08/05 05:29:47 UTC

Apache 2: Integrating code into the main even loop of the parent process

Hi,
     We are trying to add the ability for Apache 2 to do ZeroConf
browsing using the Apple Bonjour client code to talk to their POSIX
mdns code.

The Apple code requires a callback to be called when data arrives
from the multicast group. Ideally I would like this to be in the
parent process with access to the data available to all the children
processes modules.

Can anyone point me to where the appropriate place to put this in the
Apache 2 code would be?

Thanks
Jarrod Roberson

Re: Apache 2: Integrating code into the main even loop of the parent process

Posted by Sander Temme <sa...@temme.net>.
Jarrod,

On Aug 4, 2005, at 8:29 PM, robersonja wrote:

> Hi,
>     We are trying to add the ability for Apache 2 to do ZeroConf
> browsing using the Apple Bonjour client code to talk to their POSIX
> mdns code.

Excellent! I hope to change mod_zeroconf one day to use Apple's
DnsDiscovery API, but have very little time to spend on this.

> The Apple code requires a callback to be called when data arrives
> from the multicast group. Ideally I would like this to be in the
> parent process with access to the data available to all the
> children processes modules.

My approach so far has been to spawn a child process in the
post_config hook handler to handle the callbacks. This is what I'm
doing in the current version of mod_zeroconf, which uses Howl. You
can find that at http://www.temme.net/sander/mod_zeroconf/ .

For the DnsDiscovery API, my first approach is to go without a
callback handler: with the autorename feature in the mDNSResponder,
Apache should not ever have to handle any callbacks. However, there
may be a time when such a callback needs to be implemented.

As I said, I have very little time to spend on this.