Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Sidney Markowitz <si...@sidney.com> on 2010/03/05 21:02:55 UTC

Re: Account Suspended

Karsten Bräckelmann wrote, On 6/03/10 4:27 AM:
> With some bugzilla features enabled, we could even hide the spam
> comment. Currently, I don't think this is necessary though. From memory,
> there's less than one bugzilla spam a year.

I don't like that exercising the option of changing the issue's title
field to remove the spammy reference from there (even though it doesn't
change the spammy summary field) would have the effect of repeating the
spammy reference in a commit message that goes to public searchable mail
archives, adding links of benefit to the spammer.

Can we set up a closed Trash category that a bug can be moved to that
would hide it from most users and from search engines, similar to the
way Security is a closed category? Would moving an issue to Trash
generate a public commit message that would include the spammy
description field?

 -- Sidney Markowitz
    http://sidney.com

Re: Account Suspended

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 10:03 +1300, Sidney Markowitz wrote:
> > I strongly prefer some stricter, and less broad term. Trash can apply to
>
> Yes, I just typed the first name that came to mind but I would not use
> that either. It should be a name that reflects only that it is a place
> to put things that are being kept out of the way for any reason. Maybe
> "Holding Tank", or "Unpublished".

Graveyard? ;)

> Is there anything suitable for individual comments on an otherwise valid
> issue? I saw some requests in a Bugzilla forum for such a feature but
> didn't see if anyone ever implemented such a thing. It may be rare, but

I believe there is. I would have to dig through the admin options,
though. Probably something to get back to, when there's a need for this.

Re: Account Suspended

Posted by Sidney Markowitz <si...@sidney.com>.
Karsten Bräckelmann wrote, On 6/03/10 9:45 AM:
> As outlined above, there will not be any public mail, if we change the
> default assignee. Bugmail sent to dev@ is just a direct consequence due
> to our use of the default assignee.

That's great, as long as changing the default assignee doesn't send an
email to the old assignee.

> I strongly prefer some stricter, and less broad term. Trash can apply to

Yes, I just typed the first name that came to mind but I would not use
that either. It should be a name that reflects only that it is a place
to put things that are being kept out of the way for any reason. Maybe
"Holding Tank", or "Unpublished".

Is there anything suitable for individual comments on an otherwise valid
issue? I saw some requests in a Bugzilla forum for such a feature but
didn't see if anyone ever implemented such a thing. It may be rare, but
I think we should be prepared if some day someone does do something
grossly offensive in comments.

 -- sidney

Re: Account Suspended

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 09:02 +1300, Sidney Markowitz wrote:
> Karsten Bräckelmann wrote, On 6/03/10 4:27 AM:
> > With some bugzilla features enabled, we could even hide the spam
> > comment. Currently, I don't think this is necessary though. From memory,
> > there's less than one bugzilla spam a year.
>
> I don't like that exercising the option of changing the issue's title
> field to remove the spammy reference from there (even though it doesn't
> change the spammy summary field) would have the effect of repeating the
> spammy reference in a commit message that goes to public searchable mail
> archives, adding links of benefit to the spammer.

The bugmail only ends up on public list archives, because the list is
set as the default assignee.

> Can we set up a closed Trash category that a bug can be moved to that
> would hide it from most users and from search engines, similar to the
> way Security is a closed category? Would moving an issue to Trash
> generate a public commit message that would include the spammy
> description field?

Yes, one option is a special Group, just like Security. Only members of
the group then can view the bug. This applies to the entire bug. To
close single comments on otherwise proper bugs, we would need a
different method.

As outlined above, there will not be any public mail, if we change the
default assignee. Bugmail sent to dev@ is just a direct consequence due
to our use of the default assignee.

I strongly prefer some stricter, and less broad term. Trash can apply to
a whole lot, including useless and wrong bug reports. "Spam" comes to
mind, but probably is too special purposed. A group "offensive" might be
appropriate -- including Spam, but can be used for other content, too.
We really should commit to using that group if absolutely necessary
only, though.

I can set up the group to bury bugs, if we reach some consensus.

  guenther