Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ias <ia...@hotmail.com> on 2004/09/20 00:19:11 UTC

Batik for J2ME as a JSR 226 implementation

Hi all,

As I expressed my interest in JSR 226 at
http://freeroller.net/page/iasandcb/20040527#dream_batik_for_jsr_226 , I
started to work on Batik for J2ME as a JSR 226 implementation. I posted its
APIs and examples code based on JSR 226 PFD at
http://www.apache.org/~ias/batik-for-j2me.zip . Axis J2ME, my work on JSR
172 J2ME web services, is still waiting for the TCK from Sun (I applied long
time ago...), but I hope Batik for J2ME can have a chance to pass the test
:-)

Any opinions, comments, and suggestions are very welcome.

Regards,

Ias

RE: Batik for J2ME as a JSR 226 implementation

Posted by Ias <ia...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Thomas,

>     Well, I'm not really sure what you are looking for, but
> on the face of it, it would seem problematic to use Batik for
> this, as J2ME doesn't currently include any of Java2D which
> is at the core of Batik.

Probably the biggest part of applying Batik to J2ME, particularly MIDP, is
migrating Java2D usages to MIDP's AWT style graphics. What I'm thinking is
that Batik J2ME requires CLDC 1.1 and MIDP 2.0 to practically take advantage
of the most advanced Java technologies for mobile devices.

>     You might be able to borrow significant parts of Batik
> (like some of the DOM structure and CSS, and micro parsers -
> although I've heard that even these are to heavy weight), but
> for the whole graphics part I think you would have to do your
> own thing.

Yes. I'm planning to use kXML2, which is very light, to achieve the SVG
model part.

Thanks for your interest,

Ias

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.