Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/05 14:54:48 UTC

Time for another ASF board report

It is time to create a report for the ASF board for October. Please take 5
minutes and contribute to the report available at the following URL:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=74681966

Please contribute any project activity from any of the ActiveMQ subprojects.

This report will be submitted on 10 Oct.

Bruce
--
perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: Time for another ASF board report

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

> On Oct 19, 2017, at 11:09 AM, Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for providing this info. The URL to the mailing list discussion
> is especially helpful.
>
> The reason I am asking about this topic is due to the past issues that
> arose around the use of the Hawt.io management console without seeking
> consensus before making the changes (I cannot recall all the details off
> the top of my head). I see that the Hawt.io console is being used for
> Artemis, but it appears to have been achieved in a more transparent manner
> via mailing list discussions and pull requests. Does all of the source code
> for the management console exist in the git repo as part of the ActiveMQ
> Artemis project?

Yea… the main things that ended up different this time around are:

1) Branding - the old attempt was heavily branded hawt.io and it was difficult (or impossible at the time) to skin it into something that looks like it’s an Apache ActiveMQ console and not hawt.io.   The new hawt.io frameworks provides extra hooks and stuff to allow much of it to be skinned.   Thus, the only mention of hawt.io is a “powered by” type link.   It really “looks” like an ActiveMQ/Artemis console.

2) Functionality - the ActiveMQ “plugins” that provided the functionality in the old console was provided by the hawt.io community and not the ActiveMQ folks.   With this new effort, it’s now completely provided by the Artemis folks and built/tested as part of Artemis.   If the Artemis users don’t like something or want to add something, they submit ideas to *US*.   This was super important.

3) With the skinning in (1), it is also possible to remove much of the stuff that is NOT related to ActiveMQ/Artemis.    All the user sees in the console is stuff related to ActiveMQ/Artemis.   It isn’t a marketing vehicle for other (external) projects and products.

4) Community involvement - obviously the other part was the fact that it was all pretty much discussed on the dev list, requirements laid out, several reviews by various people during the process, etc…

Basically, the old controversial attempt was taking hawt.io “as is” and dropping it in to ActiveMQ AS the console and the hawt.io community was the one completely driving anything related to it.   The new effort treats hawt.io as a framework to build a console on top of with the ActiveMQ community driving the final usability and appearance.

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: Time for another ASF board report

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for the responses. This helps me understand how this was
implemented and I am pleased to see that it has been a transparent,
community involved process.

Nice work, guys!

Bruce

Posted by Michael André Pearce <mi...@me.com>.