Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Jordi Salvat i Alabart <js...@atg.com> on 2003/01/23 16:29:22 UTC

Re: Time travel? Or vaticinating web server? - SOLUTION

I've finally solved this issue. Posting here for the benefit of list
lurkers and archive readers who may hit the same problem in the future:

This was actually a Linux Kernel "bug". I've fixed it by upgrading to a
2.4.20 kernel built with CONFIG_X86_TSC_DISABLE set. I don't know
whether there's a solution for earlier kernels (this config var doesn't
exist in 2.4.18).

 From the 2.4.20 kernel Configure.help:

Unsynced TSC support
CONFIG_X86_TSC_DISABLE
   This option is used for getting Linux to run on a NUMA multi-node
   boxes, laptops and other systems suffering from unsynced TSCs or
   TSC drift, which can cause gettimeofday to return non-monotonic values.
   Choosing this option will disable the CONFIG_X86_TSC optimization,
   and allows you to then specify "notsc" as a boot option regardless of
   which processor you have compiled for.

   NOTE: If your system hangs when init should run, you are probably
   using a i686 compiled glibc which reads the TSC without checking for
   availability. Boot without "notsc" and install a i386 compiled glibc
   to solve the problem.

   If unsure, say N.

Salut,

Jordi.