Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Mathias P.W Nilsson" <ma...@snyltarna.se> on 2008/06/13 19:53:13 UTC

SSL and flash in tomcat

I try to force https for every request in my web application but the flash
movies don't get displayed in ie. I get the exception below. Any clues?

<security-constraint>
    <display-name>ssl-test</display-name>
    <web-resource-collection>
        <web-resource-name>Hairless</web-resource-name>
        <description/>
        <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
        <http-method>POST</http-method>

        <http-method>GET</http-method>
        <http-method>HEAD</http-method>
        <http-method>PUT</http-method>
        <http-method>OPTIONS</http-method>
        <http-method>TRACE</http-method>
        <http-method>DELETE</http-method>
    </web-resource-collection>
    <user-data-constraint>
        <description>ssl mode</description>
    </user-data-constraint>
</security-constraint>

Has anyone experienced this? Error message from tomcat

Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: socket write
error
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.OutputRecord.writeBuffer(Unknown
Source)
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.OutputRecord.write(Unknown Source)
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.writeRecord(Unknown
Source)
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.AppOutputStream.write(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalOutputBuffer.realWriteBytes(InternalOutputBuffer.java:737)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.ByteChunk.flushBuffer(ByteChunk.java:434)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalOutputBuffer.flush(InternalOutputBuffer.java:299)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.action(Http11Processor.java:963)
        at org.apache.coyote.Response.action(Response.java:183)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.OutputBuffer.doFlush(OutputBuffer.java:314)
        ... 25 more

RE: SSL and flash in tomcat

Posted by "Mathias P.W Nilsson" <ma...@snyltarna.se>.
Thanks alot!

That solved it.

RE: SSL and flash in tomcat

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Mathias P.W Nilsson [mailto:mathias@snyltarna.se]
> Subject: RE: SSL and flash in tomcat
>
> I have this configuration in my server.xml and no
> context since I'm deploying in Root.war.

(I hope the above is ROOT.war, not Root.war, or you're in a world of hurt.)

You do have a context, just not an explicit one.  Create a <Context> element inside your .war file, in META-INF/context.xml; do not include path or docBase attributes - just the appropriate <Valve> will suffice.  You can probably also put the <Valve> declaration in Tomcat's conf/context.xml, since that's shared by all webapps, but I haven't tried it.

 - Chuck

RE: SSL and flash in tomcat

Posted by "Mathias P.W Nilsson" <ma...@snyltarna.se>.
Thanks for the response. I have this configuration in my server.xml and no
context since I'm deploying in Root.war. Any pointers on how to configure
this

<Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
            unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
	<Alias>www.mysite.com</Alias>
</Host>

RE: SSL and flash in tomcat

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Seach the archives; you'll find this, among many other references to this IE "feature":
http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=121156687313957&w=2

 - Chuck