Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net> on 2005/08/05 15:35:04 UTC

Another UI suggestion (for 'svn propset')

Just as we do some sanity checking of the log messages passed to 'svn
commit's -m argument (requiring --force if the log message looks like
a path), and of the -F argument (requiring --force if the log message
file looks like the path of a versioned file, I think there are some
other tweaks that should be made:

   * 'svn propset' should warn if the new property value looks like a
      working copy path or URL.

   * -m and -F should also warn if the message looks like a URL (for
      the likes of 'svn mkdir URL URL' and similar commands)

Thoughts?

Re: Another UI suggestion (for 'svn propset')

Posted by David James <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 05 Aug 2005 10:35:04 -0500, C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net> wrote:
> Just as we do some sanity checking of the log messages passed to 'svn
> commit's -m argument (requiring --force if the log message looks like
> a path), and of the -F argument (requiring --force if the log message
> file looks like the path of a versioned file, I think there are some
> other tweaks that should be made:
>
>    * 'svn propset' should warn if the new property value looks like a
>       working copy path or URL.
This might break some scripts. For example, svnmerge uses parts of
URLs and paths as property values. There might be other scripts which
do the same thing.

>    * -m and -F should also warn if the message looks like a URL (for
>       the likes of 'svn mkdir URL URL' and similar commands)
This sounds like a good idea.

Cheers,

David

--
David James -- http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~james

Re: Another UI suggestion (for 'svn propset')

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
"C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net> writes:

> Just as we do some sanity checking of the log messages passed to 'svn
> commit's -m argument (requiring --force if the log message looks like
> a path), and of the -F argument (requiring --force if the log message
> file looks like the path of a versioned file, I think there are some
> other tweaks that should be made:
>
>    * 'svn propset' should warn if the new property value looks like a
>       working copy path or URL.
>
>    * -m and -F should also warn if the message looks like a URL (for
>       the likes of 'svn mkdir URL URL' and similar commands)
>
> Thoughts?

If you want to go down that line then there is also this

     * -message (instead of --message) gets interpreted as -m essage.

--
Philip Martin