Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joe Tomcat <to...@mobile.mp> on 2002/09/06 01:01:22 UTC

Basic authentication and custom 401 Not Authorized error page

I have written an filter that uses Basic Http authorization to control
access to pages.  I want to be able to define a custom 401 error page to
show users if they are unable to log in.  I should be able to do this by
putting a section like this in my web.xml:

<error-page>
  <error-code>401</error-code>
  <location>/errors/401.html</location>
</error-page>

However, when I put that entry into the web.xml, when the user clicks to
log in, it goes immediately to the error page, without even hitting my
filter.

I know what is happening: The filter sends a 401 back to the browser to
prompt the user for the password.  The container intercepts this 401,
sees that it's an error, and then displays the error page resource.

Is there a way to change or work around this behavior?  Surely there is
a way to display a custom 401 error page and still have basic
authentication work?

Thanks for any tips.

Re: Solved! Re: Basic authentication and custom 401 Not Authorized error page

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.
It can be made to work...

Put the error-page directive in as per web.xml spec

On the jsp / servlet it points at,

        response.addHeader("WWW-Authenticate", "BASIC realm=\"" + realm
+ "\"");
        response.setStatus(HttpServletResponse.SC_UNAUTHORIZED);

	and then write custom page

And it will challenge (well it did for me...)

No need for filters or any of that jazz.

Re: More info Re: Basic authentication and custom 401 Not Authorized error page

Posted by Joe Tomcat <to...@mobile.mp>.
On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 13:55, Eric Hollander wrote:
> I did some more research on this.  It looks like it was a Known Bug in
> Tomcat 4.0.2, and it doesn't look like it has been fixed since then (I'm
> using 4.0.4).  Tomcat developers, is there any patch or workaround known
> for this?
>
> I did some digging in the Tomcat source, and it looks like the html
> error pages are generated by this valve:
>
> org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve

More information:

There's a method in org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost that does
this:

   private String errorReportValveClass =
        "org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve";

So if there were some way to set the value of errorReportValveClass
through a config file, at least I wouldn't have to recompile catalina to
make it show a custom 401 response.  I couldn't find out if this value
is read in from a properties file somewhere, but I sure would love to be
able to not have to recompile catalina to get this to work.

Thanks for any tips.

More info Re: Basic authentication and custom 401 Not Authorized error page

Posted by Eric Hollander <hh...@mobile.mp>.
I did some more research on this.  It looks like it was a Known Bug in
Tomcat 4.0.2, and it doesn't look like it has been fixed since then (I'm
using 4.0.4).  Tomcat developers, is there any patch or workaround known
for this?

I did some digging in the Tomcat source, and it looks like the html
error pages are generated by this valve:

org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve

I could definitely edit that valve, putting in my own custom html, and
then recompile and redploy Catalina.  If there is no other way to fix
that, then that is what I'll do, but I would rather do this in some more
portable (and easier) way.

Any tips will be appreciated.  Thanks!