Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Gokula Krishnan <go...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/08 16:29:15 UTC

How to Use 2 physical machine resource at the same time

Dear All,
Thanks in advance and need your inputs for my requirement.

I have 2 nodes (physical machines)
There 20+ web servers running
2 nodes are in active and passive mode
Problem: At any point in time only one node is active and other node is
passive.

Solution: want to use the capacity of both the 2 nodes at the same time.

Will Mesos dcos use the resource of 2 nodes at the same time ?
How can i deploy webservers and use both the nodes resources.

Thank you in advance

--
Thanks and Regards,
Gokula

RE: How to Use 2 physical machine resource at the same time

Posted by Marc Roos <M....@f1-outsourcing.eu>.

Are you going to expand the amount of hosts? If not, stick with such
default failover setup.

If you want to go the mesos/containerized way (and get more servers to
prevent split brain issues). I would do it differently. First of all you
do not need a backup machine and one of them active.

With mesos you just use all hosts and if one fails, the tasks of the
failed node will migrate to the active nodes.

Eg. if you want to host websites you could hosts multiple apache tasks
having each their own external storage (better to spread iops). I am
using ceph for this. Lets say you have 300 websites. You can create 3
external block devices in ceph, create 3 apache tasks each serving a 100
websites. Mesos/marathon will deploy these apache processes in your
available nodes.
If one node fails, then probably one apache tasks is moved to the other
nodes.

PS. I am still researching mesos also ;)

Posted by Gokula Krishnan <go...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Vinod Kone <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gokula Krishnan <go...@gmail.com>.
Dear All,

Posted by Abel Souza <ab...@cs.umu.se>.
* Just a misconception in my first sentence I'd like to fix:

By default, Mesos never creates an offer with resources coming from two
different physical nodes (hosts).

The rest I keep. Sorry for that.

Hopefully it is clearer now,

/Abel