Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Eric Evans <jo...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/17 14:50:34 UTC

Re: Cassandra Debian repos (Apache vs DataStax)

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Drew Kutcharian <dr...@venarc.com> wrote:

> What’s the difference between the two “Community” repositories Apache (http://www.apache.org/dist/cassandra/debian) and DataStax (http://debian.datastax.com/community/)?

Good question.  All I can tell you is that the Apache repository is
the official one (the only official one).

> If they are just mirrors, then it seems like the DataStax one is a bit behind (version 3.0.6 is available on Apache but not on DataStax).
>
> I’ve been using the DataStax community repo and wanted to see if I still should continue using it or switch to the Apache repo.

If it is your intention to run Apache Cassandra, from the Apache
Cassandra project, then you should be using the Apache repo.

--
Eric Evans
eevans@apache.org

Re: Cassandra Debian repos (Apache vs DataStax)

Posted by Eric Evans <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Drew Kutcharian <dr...@venarc.com> wrote:
> OK to make things even more confusing, the “Release” files in the Apache Repo say "Origin: Unofficial Cassandra Packages”!!
>
> i.e. http://dl.bintray.com/apache/cassandra/dists/35x/:Release

Yes, as I remember, someone was concerned that the use of the word
"Debian" might be interpreted to mean that the packages were Official
in the Debian sense.

So, these packages-meant-to-be-installed-on-Debian-systems *are* the
official packages of the Apache™ Cassandra™ Project, even if they are
*not* officially a part of Debian™.

Make sense? :)

--
Eric Evans
john.eric.evans@gmail.com

Re: Cassandra Debian repos (Apache vs DataStax)

Posted by Drew Kutcharian <dr...@venarc.com>.

Posted by Eric Evans <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 2:11 PM, Drew Kutcharian <dr...@venarc.com> wrote:
> BTW, the language on this page should probably change since it currently sounds like the official repo is the DataStax one and Apache is only an “alternative"
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/DebianPackaging

It does, doesn't it?  I'll fix this.

Thanks Drew!

--
Eric Evans
john.eric.evans@gmail.com

Re: Cassandra Debian repos (Apache vs DataStax)

Posted by Drew Kutcharian <dr...@venarc.com>.

Posted by Drew Kutcharian <dr...@venarc.com>.
Thanks Eric.